Breaking in the New Gear

Friday, May 20, 2011

Let's just start here....
LOOK at this baby. Oh how I have yearned for a Le Creuset Dutch Oven.  Ever since I first caught a glimpse of one on the Food Network my heart was set on owning one.  It took a little convincing to get Mr. Schwartz to agree that we needed to use our Macy's gift cards to purchase one.  Two things that sealed the deal 1. there was a nice coupon involved and 2. I told him he could deep fry thing in it.  SOLD.

I know I always talk about how we live in such a small place and there is no room in our kitchen (I know cry me a river) but, for this I did make an exception.  Literally there is no room in the inn so she--yes I decided that my new kitchen wonder is female how can't she be, she is just so pretty--sits on top of our cupboards in all of her Caribbean Blue glory.  To be honest, it kind of makes me happy to see her sitting up there.

Immediately after ripping the packaging open I started to think about what I wanted to make.  I know that there are so many things a cook can make in a Dutch oven but I want this to be special.  It is her maiden voyage after all.  And I feel like I have to really impress Mr. Schwartz since I convinced him this pot will be life-changing.  Yep, I used those words.  Life. Changing.


I googled my brains out and found a food blog that I have never checked out before.  You can also check it out here.  The owner has a much fancier camera and better lighting in our kitchen than I do...next mission--convince Mr. Schwartz we need a new camera aaaand a new kitchen : )

I thought this recipe would be perfect for a Friday evening after work.  Quick, special and somewhat light for a spring time meal.

Without further adue, please enjoy the debut of my (first : ) Le Creuset.

Musical Selection:  You and I by Ingrid Michaelson.  Adorable song. Love it. Love to sing it to Mr. Schwartz.  He appreciates my singing. Recently heard: "your making my ears bleed." Thanks honey.
First mix the chicken seasoning: garlic powder, Lawry's,  pepper and flour.  I used about a cup and a half of flour. Coat the chicken in the flour mixture.
Brown the chicken (skin down) in your pan.  I added a little drizzle of olive oil and butter to get things going.  Brown on both sides.  Remember you don't want to fully cook the chicken this is just to get the process going.

Remove the chicken to a plate (for now).  Add the potatoes and onions.  The original recipe says you can use shallots which you can but, those buggers are much more expensive.

Place the chicken on top of the potatoes and onions.  Place pan/pot in the oven for 10 minutes.  This will allow the chicken to get a nice crunchy exterior.
After 10 minutes add the chicken stock and white wine.  I premixed the wine and stock in a bowl prior to pouring.
I bought fresh thyme and also used a pinch of rosemary as well.

Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is done.
Meanwhile Mr. Schwartz mixed up some yummy raspberry lemonade martinis. 
Remove the chicken, onions and potatoes to make a quick and easy sauce.
Take about a 1/2 cup of cold water and mix with three tablespoons of corn starch.  We are making a rue/slurry.  I like to use corn starch better than flour as it creates less lumps and thus a smoother sauce.
Turn the burner on and heat the drippings until they start to boil.  It is essential that the mixture boils.

Once it starts to boil slowly add the slurry while stirring until you reached your desired consistency.  If things get thicker than your liking you can always add additional chicken stock to thin it down and vice-versa.  This really makes an excellent sauce....plate licking good even...not saying I did that. Really, I didn't. I wanted to, but didn't.

Serve with the sauce drizzled or drenched, up to you, over the chicken and potatoes.

The end result was amazingly moist and tender chicken and potatoes.  I love my pot.

Enjoy!  Happy Weekend Cooking!!!

Oven Baked Chicken


Ingredients
  • 1 Fryer Chicken Package 
  • New potatoes
  • Shallots or small onions
  • Few sprigs of Thyme
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cups chicken Stock
  • 1 cup white wine (optional)
For the Chicken Seasoning
  • Garlic Powder (approx 2 tsp)
  • Lawry's Season-All Salt (approx 2 tsp)
  • Black pepper
  • Flour to coat the chicken

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees
Coat the chicken in the seasoning ingredients then add a light coating of corn flour. Dust off the excess.
In a frying pan heat the olive oil and butter and fry the chicken until golden on both sides. Remove the chicken.
Transfer the potatoes and onions to your baking dish.
Add the chicken on top (leave the chicken sitting on the potatoes to remain crisp).
Place in a hot oven 350 degrees for 10 minutes to crisp up
Mix the stock and white wine and add to the oven dish (half cover the potatoes/chicken).
Add fresh thyme (and/or rosemary) and place back into the oven.
Allow to cook/reduce for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken has cooked.
After the chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes are fork tender, remove the potatoes, chicken an onions.
Bring the liquid to a boil.
Mix together 1/2c cold water and 3 tbs corn starch.
Slowy add corn starch to the boiling liquid until you reach your desired consistency.  Add additional chicken broth if it becomes too thick.

ENJOY!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs