Stuffed Peppers

Sunday, August 21, 2011

I made Stuffed Peppers at my parents house.  This might not sound like earth shattering, crazy news to you but when I told my husband this is what he said: "Babe, you made stuffed peppers!? At your parents house!? I'm not there.  The first time you make Stuffed Peppers and I'm not there to eat them. Awesome." 

Let's just say that Mr. Schwartz has been asking me to make stuffed peppers for quite some time.  I always forget.  It's not my fault, I have a lot of things to remember every day.  I told him it would all be okay and this was my "practice run." 

I'm glad we tried these little cuties out though, wow they are amazing.  My mom and I (dad was golfing--weird) gobbled them down with mashed potatoes and Balsamic Glazed Green Beans--recipe coming.  Nice late summer meal. 

So, give these a shot and try not to p-off your sig other.  Babe, I promise, I'll remember to put peppers on the grocery list next time....

Musical Slection: Hang on Tomato by:  Is there any better last days of summer song out there?  I think not.

Start by pre-heating your oven to 400. 

Slice off the tops of your peppers.  If they don't sit up nice, give a little slice to the bottom too...not to cut a hole in it though. Yep, I forgot to take a pic...too busy chatting with my momma.

Heat up a little veg or canola oil and saute a little chopped onion in it until it is nice and translucent.
Add the ground turkey.  Season with salt and pepper. Brown the turkey...this will take about 10 minutes.  Cook the rice while you do this as well. The recipe called for brown rice but we used white minute rice.
While the turkey browns, start on the sauce.  Pour the tomato sauce into a sauce pan.  How many times can I say sauce? Sauce, sauce, sauce, saaauuuuce.
Add garlic. Lots of garlic.
Then the heavy cream.  I must be in a heavy cream kick. 
Chiffiod some basil.  Mmm....nothing smells better than fresh, sweet basil.
Add the basil for the sauce.
Once your rice is cooked and turkey is browned...add the rice to the frying pan with the turkey.
Pour the sauce into the pan.
Sprinkle in the parm.  Yes, horrible shadow, I know.
Add almost all of the remaining sauce to the bottom of the baking dish. 
Place the peppers into the sauced pan.  Here's a nice pic of the peppers all cut up.  See, I didn't completely leave you hanging! 
Stuff the mixture into the peppers.  I wasn't really careful and some of the stuffing fell into the pan...oh well. 
Pour (or spoon) the remaining sauce over the top of the peppers.
30 minutes and these flavorful peppers are ready to eat! 
Serve with mashed potatoes and balsamic glazed pan roasted beans.  
So freaking tasty.  I want to live in this sauce.  I will be making it in the future for a pasta sauce as well.  So good. 

Happy Sunday! I've got some magic baking away in the oven right now....stay tuned : ) 

Stuffed Peppers with a Basil Cream Sauce 

4 red, green, orange or yellow peppers
1 pound ground turkey breast
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups cooked  white or brown rice (Minute Rice is okay)
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 29-ounce can of tomato sauce 
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat, add veg or canola oil and chopped onion, sauteing until translucent  which should take about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey to the skillet, season with salt and pepper. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink, this should take about 10 minutes or so. 
While the turkey is cooking, combine the tomato sauce with the heavy cream and garlic and heat it over low heat. Stir in almost all of the fresh basil, reserving some for garnish.
Stir rice and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese into turkey mixture, then add about 1/2 cup of tomato cream sauce in mixing to coat. Turn off heat. Divide the mixture evenly between the four peppers. Pour some sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Place in a dish that allows the peppers to stand. Spoon the remainder of the sauce over the top of each pepper.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Serve with mashed potatoes and garnish with additional parmesan cheese and basil.  
Recipe slightly adapted from: How Sweet Eats




No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs