Chicken Tetrazzini

Monday, October 24, 2011

Okay, I'm not sure if you have seen this or not but every time I hear Chicken Tetrazzini, I think of this Clip from the Soup.   It kills me every single time and Mr. Schwartz and I love to go back in forth with our Chicken Tetrazzini comments.  Oh you best believe I'm going to keep my man with my Chicken Tetrazzini.  

Anyway, I really took the easy way out with this one, cream of soup baby.  To be honest, this is the first Chicken Tetrazzini I have ever made so I really have nothing to compare it to but its pretty stinking tasty.  And might I add insanely easy to throw together--you probably have everything in your fridge/pantry right now.  I came home from running errands on Sunday afternoon and every last noodle of this was gone--Mr. Schwartz, Chicken Tetrazzini and football had a little date while I was out.  

Someday I'll make the real version...until then, enjoy this cheaters (ha, get it watch the video) version of Chicken Tetrazzini.    

Musical Selection:  She Ain't Right by Lee Brice.  Mr. Schwartz says this song is about me...I say I'm not thaaat crazy. But it's still pretty sweet.
Saute a handful of button mushrooms in a little butter.  I remember something about not putting salt on mushrooms while they are sauteing because the moisture is wicked out of them too soon--I think I can credit Rachel Ray on that one but don't quote me.  Anyway, I didn't season the mushrooms. 
While the mushrooms are going, cook a pound of thin or whatever spaghetti you have on hand.
After a few minutes your mushrooms should look like this...ah yum.  Never thought I'd say that about mushrooms, gross. But these are good.
Pour the drained, al dente, noodles--keep a bit of the cooking water-- into a bowl (the mushrooms are on the bottom of the bowl).  Add sour cream and cream of chicken soup.  I used fat free sour cream and soup too--couldn't tell the difference.
Add a bunch of black pepper, parsley and a dash of salt. 
Add three cooked chicken breasts.  I did these in my grill pan with a little salt and pepper. I'm a bit obsessed with the grill pan these days and for good reason.  I love that it presses them thin, maintains the moisture and cooks on both sides (kinda).  Quick and easy.
Give it a good toss.  I found that it was lacking in sauce a bit so I added some of the cooking water to thin it out a bit.  You don't want to go too soupy but the noodles will absorb a bit of the moisture in the sauce.
Pour into a greased (sprayed) baking dish.
Top with mozzarella and a dash of Parmesan cheese.
It comes out all bubbly like this.....to get a nice brown top I did broil it for about two minutes--pay attention though, you don't want to burn it.  Obviously our broiler is even--one side perfectly golden brown, the other, nothing.
Sprinkle with a bit of parsley and this cheesy, creamy goodness is ready to eat!
I was planning on having this for lunch today but turns out Mr. Schwartz had other plans.  Oh the patients I have. 

Ps. This is my 100th post, yay! 


Cheater Chicken Tetrazzini
1 Cup button mushrooms, diced
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Pound spaghetti noodles, cooked to just shy of al dente (less than done)
3 Cooked chicken breasts, cubed 
1 Can cream of chicken soup (fat free is good)
1 8oz container of sour cream (fat free is good)
1 Teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 Cup (or so) of the cooking water for the noodles 
1 1/2 Cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

Saute the mushrooms in a small pan with the butter.  Set aside once golden brown on the edges.

Cook the pasta until just shy of al dente.  The pasta will continue to cook in the oven.  Reserve a bit of the cooking water to thin the sauce.

Combine the cooked chicken, pasta, mushrooms, soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and parsley in a large bowl.  Toss to coat.  Thin the sauce a bit, with maybe a 1/2 of a cup of the noodle cooking water.  Pour mixture into a greased (sprayed) baking dish.  

Top with cheeses.  Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.  If you desire, broil for two minutes to turn the top golden brown.

Top with additional parsley.  

Enjoy!!!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs