Dipped Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treats

Monday, October 31, 2011

First of all, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! I adore Halloween.  I love the costumes, the candy and the kiddos!! I'm not a huge fan of dressing up myself but, I do enjoy the trick-or-treaters.  I cannot wait for our first trick-or-treater to show up tonight!!! Eeek!!! 

Second of all, this is the first time I have successfully made Rice Crispy Treats.  Yep, you heard me.  I understand that they are the most generic and easy things you can make but my dad has always made them.  He is THE best Rice Crispy Bar maker around...people rave about them.  So, no pressure making them, the daughter of THE Rice Crispy Bar maker.    

I made them once for my grandpa when he was staying with my parents since my dad was out of town.  I thought, no biggie, I'll just make a pan.  Ah, I'm not sure what happened but it was not good.  The marshmallows didn't melt right and the whole thing was a disaster.  Not thiiiiis time.  These turned out great, with a little addition of cake batter these things are fantastic.  

Enjoy and HAPPY HALLLLLOOWEEEEN!!!!!!  

Musical Selection: Monster Mash.  Oh come on, you knew that was coming.
First, melt the budda.
Yep, the secret ingredient.  Yum. I'll have some other ideas for the rest of the box...you just wait and see.
After the butter begins to melt, add the marshmallows.  My dad gave me these HUGE jumbo ones, I don't suggest using these unless you have a ton of patients...they took for-ever to melt.  I have no patients.
Once the mallows start to melt, add the cake mix slowly.
Keep stirring....
Oh yah, that tastes bad.
Until it looks a bit like this...a few lumps are okay I guess.
Dump in the Rice Crispies.  Oh, I should say too, that I used my dad's recipe...not the one on the box. So that means, use the entire box.
Plop it into a greased 9x13 pan.  Although I adore this pan, it is not the best for this recipe because it has slanted sides.  Use a 9x13 that has straight edges, you hear me? Mr. Schwartz was pretty happy I didn't because he ate all of the trimmings.
Anywho, push it down with a spatula.  I let it be at this point....but my dad, master of the Rice Crispy Bar, FLIPPS it.   Yes, you heard me, he presses it down, then when its still hot, flips it so it is perfectly flat on both sides.  He is a wizard.
Give it 30 minutes to cool and harden, then flop it out onto some parchment paper.  Mine looked okay, but nothing like my dad's.
Okay, time to step it up a notch.  Melt some almond bark in the microwave.  I just followed the instructions, starting with 90 seconds, then stirring, additional 15, stir, 15 seconds, stir...until it is completely melted.
Cut up the bars and dip half into the almond bark.
Give them a little sprinkle and....
Super easy, and tasty Halloween Treat!  

Dipped Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treats
2 bags mini (or regular) marshmallows
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup cake batter mix (yellow or white)
1 box (regular size) Rice Crispy Cereal
1 whole package of Almond Bark

Start by melting the butter in a large pot.  Add the marshmallows.  Once the marshmallows start to melt, add the cake batter mix, one spoonful at a time.  Keep stirring until the marshmallows are completely melted.  

Then add the cereal.  Stir until completely combined/coated.  Put into a greased 9x13 pan (preferably with straight sides).  Press/flatten with a spatula.  Let cool and harden for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, flip onto parchment paper.  Cut into bars.  Then, melt almond bark in the microwave as directed on the package.  

Once melted, dip half of the bars into the almond bark.  Top with desired sprinkles.  

Enjoy!!!

Recipe adapted from: Dad.  : ) 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs