Friday, February 17, 2012

Birthday Cake Batter Popcorn


Okay, I usually don't post twice in a day but I CANNOT contain myself about this any longer!  I saw this recipe and then this recipe and it came to me…I need to combine the two to make the perfect treat! BIRTHDAY CAKE BATTER POPCORN! Are you kidding me?  This stuff has to be what they serve in heaven!  Salty, sweet, crunchy, colorful.  It is what dreams are made of!  

Give it a try this weekend.  It would be adorable packaged up and given as a favor for a birthday party!  

Musical Selection: Princess of China by: Cold Play.  It deserves to stay on the blog the whole day! 
Start by popping the pop corn.  I used my handy-dandy pop corn maker but you could totally use use microwave popcorn.
If you make it on your own make sure to salt it.
Next, prepare the coating.  You will need almond bark or white chocolate.
Melt it in the microwave in 30 second intervals.
Once it's melted add a little vegetable shortening to thin it a bit.
Add the cake mix.  I always have a box of cake mix on hand that I use in random recipes.  It's cheap and tastes like heaven.   You should do the same.
Stir it up as best you can.
Pour it onto the popcorn.
Toss with the white chocolate/cake batter coating.
Spread on to a cookie sheet.
And sprinkle with a bunch of sprinkles.  It would be SO cute to use green shamrock sprinkles for St. Patty's Day, just saying'.
So cute!
And tasty! 

Birthday Cake Batter Popcorn

6 cups popped pop corn
1 1/2 cups or so almond bark (or white chocolate), melted
1 cup cake batter mix (I used yellow cake batter but white would work too)
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
assorted sprinkles

Melt the almond bark/chocolate in the microwave.  I put it in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring between each 30 seconds until it is fully melted. 

Add the vegetable shortening and stir until it is melted.  I usually don't have to put it back in the microwave to completely melt it but you can if you have to. 

Then add the cake mix.

Pour onto the popcorn and coat evenly.  

Pour the popcorn out onto cookie sheets to cool/harden.  Sprinkle immediately with your choice of sprinkles.

Wait until fully hardened (if you can) and enjoy! 

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz 

34 comments:

  1. This is lovely, I'm looking for ideas for St Patrick's day. We don't really have the same cake mixes as you have, so I'd probably just use chocolate. I'm going to try it out this week. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a perfect treat for St. Patrick's Day! I would love to hear how it turns out with chocolate cake mix!

      Delete
    2. how did it work with chocolate?

      Delete
  2. Oh, heavenly! I want some of this NOW! I'd love for you to join my linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime. It runs through Friday each week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy! It is some pretty tasty stuff! I would love to join your link party! I think I will right now : )

      Delete
  3. THIS SOUNDS FREAKING DELICIOUS!!! I think I need a funnel going straight from that bowl to my mouth! mmmMMMmmmm! {Thanks for the bday gift!} :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are too funny! You are more than welcome and I hope you had a great birthday!

      Delete
  4. Oh my word. That just leaves me speechless!

    Stopping by from Crazy Sweet Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Yes, it is definitely worth a try! I am currently obsessed with your rainbow cupcake topped cupcakes! Oh my goodness, are you kidding me!? Adorable! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe at Dwell on Fridays! ITS BEING FEATURED TOMORROW so be sure to stop on by and check it out! Happy Weekend to YOU! P.S. I love your music list on your blog, what a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thank you so much for featuring this recipe! I really appreciate it. I hope it turns out well for your son's birthday! I have to listen to music in the kitchen so I figured it would add a little something to the blog too! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Hi stopping in from Dwell on Joy! This looks so delicious!! I'm off to pin it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kristi! Pin away and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. Hi i live in the UK and would love to try this! but we do not get the same cake mixtures as the US wondering if I could use normal cake mix? dont know what yellow cake mix is! and do u mean the mxture that contains the flour and sugar etc and not including milk and eggs?? sorry about the questions! i need to make this tommorow for hubby whose a massive popcorn and cake fan so this would be perfect for his special bday!

    thank u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So fun that you are in UK and found my little blog all the way over here in Minnesota! : )

      Yes, you can use whatever "white" cake mix you can find. Really that can be yellow or white really you could use chocolate if you wanted too. Humm..that's a good idea. Anyway, JUST the mix though, no milk or eggs or anything like that. I really hope your hubby loves it. Be sure to pick out all of the old maids so he doesn't break is teeth!

      Delete
  8. I am so glad I found this recipe!! I am going to make it for my sons birthday celebration. I will feature this recipe when I do so please visit my blog after February 27th. I will have made the popcorn and blogged about it by then. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was looking for ideas for my daughters birthday party, and found this recipe. I just made it for a trial version, and am hooked! Unfortunately, all of our relatives are already trying to claim our trial batch, so I may have to make more before her party! Thanks for such a great, and super easy, idea. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I served it in small ice-cream cones at church for a seniors party. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great idea!

      Bev

      Delete
  11. What I need, another way to love popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its also great to add in reese pieces or M&M to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs. Schwartz,

    I made this for youth group snacks tonight. I couldn't quit eating it so I had to tape it up and I rushed off to deliver it at church. This is a wonderful recipe! Thank you for sharing this with us.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  14. Someone I know made this and had me try it and I could help myself.... I make it now.... And now Im making it for a big party... This was a wonderful idea!!!!! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how many does this recipe usually serve?! I want to use this recipe for party favor bags for my son's first birthday party!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could I use butter instead of vegetable shortening? I thought it might give it a different flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I'm not sure as I haven't tried it. I chose shortening since I knew it would harden nicely.

      Delete
  17. Any ideas what I did wrong - I added the cake mix to the melted chocolate & it just became a powdery mess -not melted & nice & Smooth at all. ANy ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh boy - nevermind - that's what I get trying a new recipe with 3 little kids under the age of 5!! We added the whole box of cake mix not just 1 cup!!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Oh gosh that made me laugh! I'm sorry it didn't work out, maybe try during nap time next time? ;)

      Delete
  18. You have the BEST photos and instructions on how to make this - and it works well. I pinned on pinterest. Thank you so much for the great recipe. Made some for a preschool bake sale fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg I stopped in here looking for ideas for favors for my son's birthday and found these! They sound delicious! ! And so easy to make! Can't wait to make them...i will also be making some for his classmates in:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've done this a million times and i must be doing something wrong because mine never ever sets !!
    maybe I'm using he wrong quantities of things.

    ReplyDelete