Asian Turkey Burgers with Teriyaki BBQ Sauce

Tuesday, March 27, 2012



Apparently Tuesdays mean Turkey Burgers.  Last time I posted a recipe for Turkey Burgers it was also on a Tuesday.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.

I do have to say these are wayyyyy better than the other ones.  Not to say the others arn't something we make all.the.time.  Because we do make them all the time.  But these are like super special healthy spicy sweet wonderful.  All of that.  And when you get the perfect bite of pineapple, Teriyaki BBQ Sauce, crispy lettuce and warm burger.  Pa-lease.  Lord help me.  

But before I get to the goods, if you haven't entered the OXO giveaway, click on this link and it will bring you to the post!  You have until Saturday at midnight to enter...and you can enter multiple ways and multiple days this week! Check it ooout.  

Musical Selection:  Land Down Under by: Men at Work.  I heard it this morning when I was getting ready and I remembered every word.  Did anyone else listen to this in elementary music class?  It was always my favorite.  
Take the ground turkey and add some very finely minced onion.
Grate in some fresh ginger.
Add some soy sauce
Fresh cracked black pepper
A little canola oil to keep things from drying out
Just a dash of white sugar
And some parsley.
Mix it up with your hands--just to combine.  If you over mix ground meat it becomes really tough.  Form the meat into patties and make sure to dent the middle a bit so they cook evenly.  Learned that little ditty from Ms. Rachel Ray herself.
Moving on to the BBQ sauce.  In a food processor, or I'm sure you could use a blender, add 1/4 of an onion, a few pieces of ginger and garlic.
Blend it until it is almost a paste.
Add the paste to a small sauce pan.
Then addd your sauce of choice.  I used the Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy I think.  It was perfect for this recipe.
To that, add a good amount of soy sauce.
And honey.  Let this simmer for about 10 minutes or so.
Grill your burgers up and it's time to assemble.
Look at that sauce. Oh and I guess the burger too.
I added lettuce, sesame seeds and a pineapple ring to mine as well.  Mr. Schwartz went sans pineapple.  "I don't like savory and sweet."  WHAAAT?  Men…
I love you.
Get in my belly.
Served with my go-to seasoned potato bites.  These were slightly modified from the post.  I used Montreal Chicken Seasoning from McCormic along with a bit of Lawry's and parsley.   Absolutely divine.  

Asian Turkey Burgers
1 package of Ground Turkey--I find that the Ground Turkey is always packaged more than 1 lb.  (That's okay) 
1 small onion or 1/2 of a large one finely minced
1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated (you can sub 1 teaspoon ground dried ginger if you have to)
2 tablespoons soy sauce (I always use the reduced sodium--so much better for you and you can control the salty taste) 
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 tablespoons dried (or fresh) parsley

Toppings: 
Sesame seed buns
Pineapple rings
Romaine lettuce
Sesame seeds
Teriyaki BBQ Sauce (recipe below) 

Combine all of the ingredients just until they come together.  Don't over mix, the meat will become tough.  Grill for about 4 minutes on each side or until completely cooked through.  

Place on bun, top with pineapple, lettuce, sesame seeds and BBQ sauce.  


Teriyaki BBQ Sauce
1/4 small onion
2 inch pice of ginger
2-3 garlic cloves
1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce) 
1/2 cup soy sauce (low sodium preferred) 
1 tablespoon honey

Place the onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor or blender.  Blend until it almost forms a paste.  

Take the paste out and add it to a small sauce pan.  Cook this mixture for about 2 minutes stirring constantly.  

Add the BBQ sauce, soy sauce and honey.  Let simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.  Keep an eye on it because with the honey it can burn.  Stir throughout the 10 minutes.  

Enjoy!  

**NOTE:  This recipe makes A LOT of BBQ sauce.  We put ours in a cheapo squeeze bottle (like these but we bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond I think) in the fridge and it has kept for a few weeks.  It's really great on anything!**


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs