Honey Mustard Pasta Salad

Thursday, July 26, 2012


I love pasta salad.  I feel like I bring it to every event in the summer.  I usually bring my go-to Cheater Cheater Pasta Salad Eater salad (beware, this is one of my first posts so try not to laugh at the photography :).  It is quick, easy, and so tasty.  But, sometimes things need to be shook up a bit.  Variety is the spice of life they say.  

For the 4th of July we were invited to my sister (in-law)'s dad's house and I was asked to bring a salad or a pasta salad.  I thought about just making my go-to but didn't really have any of the ingredients on hand. Humf.  Well, what time is better than the present to make a new recipe for pasta salad.  That's when this little gem was born.  

What is your go-to gathering offering?  I'd love to know! 
Start with a cup of mayonnaise.  The good stuff aka. Hellman's with canola oil.
Yep, there you see it, Miracle Whip too.  I know people are usually a one or another when it comes to these two but really, I think they both have a place at the deli counter and in this dressing.  If you loathe either, just double the kind you have on hand.
This, this is mandatory--sweet honey mustard.
A bit of salt...
Black pepper...
And a bunch of dried parsley--if you have the real deal, add that instead.  I love the freshness and the pop of color this adds.
Stir it up.
Then remember that you want to add some vinegar... so add that too.
Cook up a bunch of pasta.  I love bow ties for pasta salad.
Chop up a green pepper....
Celery, including some of the leaves, those are good stuff.
Carrots...
Ham...
And why not, some red peppers.
Add it all to the bowl including the pasta and some cheddar cheese.
Add a big plop of the dressing.
Stir it up and see where you are at.  Clearly I needed more to coat everything.  Also, note I made this the day before which I think is best.  It gives the pasta salad some time to develop it's flavor.  I usually add more dressing if it is going to be over night too because the noodles soak up the extra dressing.  If you are nervous about this, leave it on the side and add it the next day.
Serve in adorable little cups.
Little cups make everything taste better.
I'm pretty sure Mr. Schwartz ate six of these.

Honey Mustard Pasta Salad
1 cup mayonaise
1 cup miracle whip
3/4 cup honey mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dried (or fresh) parsley
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 lb pasta of your choice (I use bow ties)
1 green pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1 1/2 cups cooked ham, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Start by cooking the pasta to al dente so it has a bit of a bite left to it.

Combine the mayo, miracle whip, honey mustard, salt, pepper, parsley and vinegar.

In a large bowl, add the pasta, green pepper, celery, carrot, ham, red pepper and cheese.  Add a little of the dressing at a time until everything is fully coated.  If you are planning to refrigerate and serve the next day add a little more than what you think is enough.  The pasta will soak up the dressing over night.  If you don't feel comfortable with this, save the remaining dressing, refrigerate as well and add to the salad the next day if needed.

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz

**Note: that in the pictures of this post it looks like a lot more than what I have listed in the recipe.  I doubled the batch to feed the 4th of July army. : ) **

5 comments :

  1. Adorable little cups do make food taste better! :) This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. How many servings does your recipe above make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about just making my go-to but didn't really have any of the ingredients on hand. Humf. Well, what time is better than the present to make a new recipe for pasta salad. That's when this little gem was born. Granite Kansas City

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pasta will soak up the dressing over night. If you don't feel comfortable with this, save the remaining dressing, refrigerate as well and add to the salad the next day if needed. Portable Cooktop Review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! this was great…a perfect no-oven summer dish!

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs