Raspberry Lemonade Sorbet

Friday, July 20, 2012

Confession: I'm not a huge fan of berries.  I know, I know,  I'm missing out. Big time.  It's the texture I'm telling you.  I love the flavor berries pack but that darn texture gets me every time.  

So, when Driscoll's contacted me about using their heart healthy raspberries in a recipe I actually had to think about it.  Me...using berries....for eating? Yeah, about that.  I agreed to it and thought of a recipe I could make that I wouldn't have the texture.  Then it dawned on me--sorbet.  It's hotter than blazes outside and let's be honest sorbet is good stuff.  Small steps right?  I did use the berries and was glad I did.  Wow these little buggers are tasty.  Second confession: I ate one. Whole.  Ask Mr. Schwartz he was a witness.  I made a face but I choked it down.  It tasted...good.  That's progress people. 

For more information about the health benefits of eating raspberries you can click: here

For now, let's make some Raspberry Lemonade Sorbet. 
Start with these little guys.  They are purty.
Give them a good wash. (Mr. Schwartz man hand)
Toss them in what looks like a dirty sauce pan.  Who does the dishes around our house? Not I.  See that, it's Mr. Schwartz, he just got ran over by a bus.  Oops.
Moving on from the bus accident, zest two lemons into the sauce pan.
Juice 'em too.
Add some sugar
And lemonade.  Stir it up and pop it on the stove and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for two minutes or so.
Remove from the heat and pour through a large strainer.
Use the whisk to get all of the liquid out.
I could drink that stuff.  But, I didn't (insert eye roll).  Cover it and into the fridge it goes until it is COMPLETELY cool.  Don't mess around with that--it needs to fully cool.
Once it is cool--or the next day--add some vodka.  No, I'm not cray.  This helps with the texture of the sorbet.  You guys, I did research about this.  Just do it.  Unless you are serving to kids, then you have to suck it up with crappy texture.  Well, unsure if it will be crappy but it won't be as good....so I hear.
Pour this glorious liquid into the bowl of an ice cream maker or in my case Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment.
Let it stir away for 10 minutes.
Done churnin'.  Refrain from eating it out of the bowl
And pour it into a dish.  Cover and place in the freezer to harden.
Scoop it out and enjoy the heck out of it.  Clearly I didn't wait that long to enjoy--I needed it.
I actually enjoyed the texture being a little softer--it was like a frozen lemonade drink.
I'm not sad there is a little booze in this...at all.

Raspberry Lemonade Sorbet:


2 lemons, zested and juiced
12 oz Driscoll's raspberries
1/2 cup sugar (or more depending on how sweet you want it--mine was pretty bitter)
3 1/2 cups lemonade
2 tablespoons citrus raspberry or plain vodka (optional but great for texture--omit if serving to kids)

Wash the raspberries and place them in a medium sauce pan.  Zest and squeeze the lemons into the sauce pan.  Add the sugar and lemonade.

Place the sauce pan on medium high heat and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for about 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat and strain over a large bowl.  Cover the bowl and let chill until completely cooled.  I would recommend doing this over night to be sure.

Once fully cooled, add the vodka and pour into the ice cream maker.  Let churn for 10 minutes.  Scoop into a container, cover and place in the freezer until hardened.  Serve!

Enjoy!

**Note, if you don't have an ice cream maker you can freeze the liquid after you add the vodka and scrape it with a fork after an hour and every half hour after that until it has the texture of a granita/snow cone.  I haven't tried this method but I think it would work.  Let me know if you try it out :) **

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz

You can check out the Driscoll's YouTube channel for additional recipes using raspberries:

--Yogurt Parfait with Fresh Raspberries and Dark Chocolatehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMvjLqN1VV0&list=PL58042554BD78BB62&index=3&feature=plcp


**DISCLAIMER: Driscoll's sent me vouchers to purchase these raspberries but the opinions, as always, are my own.**

1 comment :

  1. I'm not the only one with fruit issues? Yay! This sorbet looks beyond stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs