Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole

Monday, September 17, 2012


Today we (in Minnesota) are having a bit of a cold snap.  By that I mean it is supposed to get to a high of 61 degrees.  Hells yeah.  Wasn't it just last week that we were in the 90's?  Yes, yes it was.  Welcome to weird Minnesota.  

With this cold snap the only thing I can think of is soup, bread, pasta and HOT DISH!  Some of you out there might call it casserole but up here in Minnesota, anything with cram of whatever soup is hot dish baby!  I found this recipe via Pinterest (weird) and I think it will become a regular on our rotation. 
As all good casseroles do, it beings with a bit of onion sauteed in a drizzle of canola oil.
Add some celery
And cooked turkey.  I roasted a turkey breast myself for this dish.  I know, unheard of right?  It was actually really easy and I will show you sometime.  For now, let's keep moving.
Add two boxes of wild rice mix
And give it a good stir.
Remove the mixture from the pan into a large bowl...if you don't have enough room in the pan.
Add the seasoning packets from the rice
Two cans of cream of whatever you have on hand soup.  I used cream of chicken but cream of mushroom or cream of celery would be awesome too.
Add a bit of sour cream
Parmesan cheese
And as you can see here I added chicken stalk.  After trying this recipe I think it would be better to add milk.
Miz it up
And pour it into a baking dish.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
Give it a stir and serve
You know me, I like to add a bit of parsley on the top of things...it looks prettier.
Deeeelightful.
I may or may not have made this on the 90 degree day.  I'm pretty sure it was my Fall rain dance.  You.are.welcome.

Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole

drizzle of canola or vegetable oil
1 Medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups cooked turkey or chicken, cubed
2 6 oz boxes wild rice mix (with the seasoning packets)
2 cans cream of chicken, celery, or mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, drizzle the oil and add the onions and celery.  Let these cook for about 3 minutes.  Add the turkey or chicken and rice.  If you have enough room in the skillet add the seasoning packets, soup, sour cream, parmesan cheese and milk.  If you don't have enough room just combine everything in a large bowl.  Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Add the mixture to the pan and put in the oven for about 40 minutes.  At 40 minutes, take a fork and test the rice.  If it is done take it out.  If it still needs a little time pop it back in the oven for 5 minutes.  If at 40 minutes it looks dry, add a splash of milk, stir and return to the oven for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from: Here

1 comment :

  1. Yep, anything you dump a can of "Cream of..Anything" into is food fine enough for me!  ツ

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs