Chicken Sausage Breakfast Burritos

Friday, August 9, 2013

I have been thinking lately, breakfast might be my favorite meal.  Not my weekday breakfast which consists of a Luna bar and iced latte every day.  No joke, every.single.day.  While that is pretty decent (otherwise why would I eat it every day) I'm a fan of weekend breakfast.  I have more time to make something, it could be sweet or savory or…both.  Either way, I love weekend breakfast.  

I made these breakfast burritos the other weekend and we fell in love.  I usually have some type of turkey sausage in the freezer or fridge for weekend breakfasts but I was all out.  What's a girl to do?  Well I found these chicken sausages in the freezer and bam, breakfast came together in a snap.  Of course you could substitute with any type of meat or leave the meat out all together.  I'm sure your family will enjoy these as much as we did.  
 Here is the type of sausage we used.  It was really good and slightly spicy.  NOTE: this is not a paid advertisement. I just actually liked these.
 Anyway, cut the sausage into small half moon pieces.  Set aside for the time being.
 Chop up an onion, red, white or green is just fine.
 Chop up a pepper as well.  I used a red bell pepper but you could use any type of pepper you prefer.
 Into a saute pan they go with a drizzle of oil.
 A quick stir and I let them cook for a little while
 Meanwhile, I started to work on the eggs.  I cracked 3 eggs into a medium bowl and seasoned with black pepper and seasoned salt.
 Once the peppers had a chance to cook a bit, I added the sausage to get some color on it.
 Then I got back to work on the eggs, I added a splash of milk as well and gave them a whisk.
 Into a sprayed skillet they go.
 On medium heat, I scraped, and scraped, and scraped the pan.  It is the secret to fluffy eggs….low, slow, and keep scraping.
 Like so.
 See!? Fluffy, delicious eggs.
 After the sausage has had some time to get color on it like so...
 Add the sausage, onion and pepper mixture to the eggs.
 Give them a quick toss and it's time to assemble.
Take a warm tortilla and layer in the eggs, sausage, onions and pepper.
 A sprinkle of cheese
 And drizzle of either taco sauce or salsa tops it off.
The perfect, portable weekend breakfast. 
Look at all that flavor. 

I love those because your can customize them to your likes and also to whatever you have in your fridge.  

Chicken Sausage Breakfast Burritos

Drizzle of canola or vegetable oil 
1/2 large onion (red, white or green), diced
1 pepper (red, green, yellow, orange, whatever you choose), diced
2 large links of sausage, cut into half moon pieces 
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 black pepper 
Splash of milk
Cooking spray 
4 tortillas (flour or corn)
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand) 
Taco sauce or salsa for topping

Start by preheating a medium sized skillet on medium high heat, add the drizzle of oil.  Once hot, add the onion and peppers.  Sauté for 3 minutes or so or until they start to become tender.  

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, seasoned, black pepper and splash of milk in a medium bowl.  Pour the eggs into a sauté pan on medium heat, sprayed with cooking spray.  Using a heat safe spatula, babysit the eggs and keep scraping, and scraping, and scraping until the eggs are fully cooked.  

While babysitting, add the chicken sausage to the pan with the onion and peppers and let cook on high heat to add a little color to the sausage.  

Once the eggs are cooked, add the sausage and veggie mixture to the eggs.  Stir to combine.  

To assemble the burritos, add the egg mixture to a tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with taco sauce or salsa. 

Enjoy! 

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz 

1 comment :

  1. Seems delicious!

    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs