Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup

Saturday, September 28, 2013


We are huge coffee fans in our house and I have to admit…we make lattes every day.  It sounds kind of snoody but we did the math, two lattes each day at $4 each= $8 a day.  365 days in a year which adds up to… $2,920!!!  Let's just say our Espresso machine was a LOT cheaper than that.  As in, take away the 0 and I think that's how much it was.  

Anyway, math aside, we love coffee and enjoy a good quality latte.  I like mine EXTRA hot, skim milk (whole if I'm "treating" myself) and that's it.  No fuss, no muss.  Mr. Schwartz on the other hand likes his "not as hot" aka kid temp at Caribou :) with vanilla syrup.  We were buying that expensive syrup that start with a T until I thought, "why wouldn't I just make my own?"  Then I did.  It could not be more simple.  Check it out
Start with a basic simple syrup.  Add a cup of water and a cup of white sugar to a sauce pan on medium high heat.  Bring to a simmer.
While the sugar water is heating up, split two vanilla beans and pull your knife across the bean (like so) to extract the caviar.  I know, fancy right?
Add the caviar and the whole bean to the sugar water.
Let this simmer for about 2 minutes
Let cool for about 10 minutes, remove the beans and set aside
Pour the syrup into your container of choice 
And add the vanilla beans, they add extra flavor, and let's be honest, make it look fancy.
Use the syrup to add delicious vanilla flavor to your coffees, cocktails (I'm thinking White Russians) and anything else that could use a little added sweetness.  

Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup 

1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
2 vanilla beans

Start by adding the water and sugar into a sauce pan on medium high heat.  Bring to a simmer.  

Meanwhile, take each vanilla bean and split it using a sharp knife.  Use your knife to scrape out the caviar and add to the syrup that is simmering.  Add the vanilla beans as well.  Let simmer (not boil) for about 2 minutes.  

Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.  Remove the vanilla beans and set aside.  It is easier to pour that way.  Pour the syrup into your container of choice and add the vanilla beans back into the syrup.  

Use to flavor your favorite coffee drinks, cocktails etc.  

The syrup will be good (if it's not gone) for about 3 weeks.  

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz 



2 comments :

  1. I love coffee and enjoy a good quality with my Friends. It is very special for me. Thank you. I have share Best Margarita Machine Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, really helpful for readers. We completely satisfied by reading such information. Keep going and provide more fantastic blog...
    best shaved ice syrup
    best snow cone syrup
    best tasting snow cone syrup
    jelly belly snow cone syrup
    best snow cone flavors
    most popular snow cone flavors

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs