Mexican-Style Brats

Wednesday, March 26, 2014




As you may be aware, I have been working with Tastefully Simple and creating posts with their recipes  since this past August.  This month, I was tasked with creating a recipe using one of the new products from their Spring and Summer 2014 line:  Dill Pickle Salsa.  I was immediately intrigued.  

Once I received the jar, I opened it up and could immediately smell the dill pickle combined with a smoky spice.  I dug right in with some corn chips and was surprised by the "kick" of dill pickle at the end.  

I did some thinking about recipes and one thing came to mind….Mexican Hot Dogs.  Pickles make me think of hot dog relish and the spice made me think Mexican so…. this recipe was created.  Tweaked just a bit since I'm pregnant and should shy away from hot dogs, I used fresh brats.  The end result was something totally different yet familiar at the same time.  Here is how I did it.  


Start with the blank canvas: the hot dog bun.
I spread a good amount of pre made guacamole (you could totally make your own too) on the bun
Sent my loving husband outside to grill in the 20 degree weather.  I could have taken a picture of these beauties on the grill but, that would mean I would have had to go outside.  #noway : )
I took one of those bad boys and situated it right on top of the guacamole.
Cracked open the jar of Dill Pickle Salsa
Spooned a generous amount of Dill Pickle Salsa onto the brat
Sprinkled with a little shredded cheddar jack cheese
A little bit of sour cream
And lastly a few pickled jalapeños for more spice! (Not for me, for the hus).
And there you have it.  We gobbled these up with additional salsa and chips!
Such a different way to eat brats but oh so good!


Mexican-Style Brats 
(Makes 4)

4 hot dog/brat buns
1/2 cup guacamole
4 brats or hot dogs, grilled
1/2 cup Dill Pickle Salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack (or your favorite) cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
A few pickled jalapeños, if desired

Start by preheating the grill and placing the brats or hot dogs on the grill.  Cook as directed.  If cooking fresh brats, be sure to cook them all the way through so they are no longer pink in the middle.

While the brats/hot dogs are cooking, spread the guacamole into the bottom of the buns.  Place the fully cooked brat/hot dog in the middle of each bun.  Top with the Dill Pickle Salsa, sprinkle with the cheese, drizzle with sour cream and top with the pickled jalapeños.

Enjoy!!!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz

Ps. These measurements are approximate.  Feel free to tailor the amounts to your own taste!

**DISCLAIMER: I was provided with product for this post as well as compensated for my time through Project Simplicity.  But, as always, you cannot buy my love, baby.**







3 comments :

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs