Buff Chick

Saturday, May 7, 2011

As you may know, my sister-in-law is getting married in June (yay!).  Therefore we have been celebrating her upcoming nuptials!!!  This weekend we have her bachelorette party.  We each received a list of things to bring to the party.  I added Buffalo Chicken Dip for post-bar snacking to my list.

The recipe I use is from my sisters best friend Betsy's mother, Claudia.  First, I'm sure you all by now have had a version of Buffalo Chicken Dip.  But, I do have to say that a. this is the BEST one and b. I'm pretty sure this is the original.  I'm quite aware the origins of Buffalo Chicken Dip will become sort of a urban legend however, I can firmly say that I did not hear of it until I met my other sister, Emily.  She made this amazing dip from entertainer extraordinaire, Claudia.  I do believe that Claudia is THE creator of Buff Chick as it is officlay called.

I'm not sure if I have the official recipe straight from Claudia's recipe box but, here is my version.  Thank you Claudia for many a pre-bar, post-bar, breakfast, lunch and dinner Buff Chicks.  Cheers to you and many many more!

Music Selection: Tik Tok by Kesha.  Very bachelorette party appropriate.
First, start out by cooking the chicken.  I have found the most efficient way to do this is putting the chicken in a covered casserole dish and baking at 350.  Make sure to season with plenty of salt and pepper.  I tried cooking the chicken in a pan but this makes the chicken too tough...but that is up to you, if you like tough chicken and all.
While the chicken is baking, I finely dice the celery.  I typically put in about a cup.  Again, I don't measure very often...

Let me back up too, the best thing to do first is actually take out the cream cheese (1 block--not fat free kind..it just doesn't turn out right) and let it come to room temp.  This really eases the stirring process.
I like to mix the Franks Red Hot (essential that you get Franks), blue cheese dressing (you can totally use fat-free for this, just not for the cream cheese) cream cheese and celery at this point.
After the chicken is cooked (make sure to save the cooking liquid in the pan--remember, home made chicken noodle soup--I'll post my recipe at some point) cut into very small pieces.  You want to be able to get everything on a chip.  Excuse me, scoop.  The scoops are essential to Buff Chick.
Mix the chicken into the other mixed ingredients.

Bake in a 9x13 baking dish.  Please excuse my tin foil pan.  Typically I put this in my offcial Buff Chick pan with heating elements to keep it nice and toasty.  I figured for this party this dip will be gone faster than it can cool...and cleaning up a pan the day after the bachelorette party sounds pretty horrible.

I typically bake Buff Chick for  about 45 minutes.  Just until it is bubbly and hot.  Serve with scoops. You hear me? Scoops. And I also like to serve with celery, great for dipping as well.


Recipe

Buff Chick

3-4 Chicken Breasts depending on the size
1 Cup Celery
1 Cup Blue Cheese Dressing
1 Block of Cream Cheese--NOT fat free
1 Cup Franks Red Hot Sauce

Bake chicken in a casserole dish (covered) for 45 minutes or until done
Finely dice celery, mix with blue cheese dressing, cream cheese and Franks Red Hot Sauce
Dice the chicken into small pieces.  Mix with other mixture.
Bake at 375 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Enjoy with SCOOPS!

From the Kitchen of Mrs. Schwartz via Claudia

2 comments :

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs