Beef with Broccoli

Tuesday, June 7, 2011


It is hotter than I can handle today.  If you know me, you know I HATE being hot.  Heat is my nemesis.  You would think that since Minnesota is freeezing the majority of the time, I would welcome the heat.  I don't.   I'm trying to have a better attitude about.  But really, it was over 100 degrees today.  Gross. 


Do you know whats not gross: Beef with Broccoli.  One of my all time favorite foods.  The saltiness combined with my favorite vegetable is the ultimate combination.  Typically I make Beef with Broccoli with one of those yellow seasoning packets you can get from the grocery store.  But, tonight I had some time on my hands and figured I should try it from scratch.  I am so glad that I did! Great flavors.  

Let's break it down....

Musical Selection: Summer in the City by: The Lovin' Spoonful. Just seems right. (remember to scroll down and hit play if you would like to jam.) 

First start by slicing the beef against the grain.  The thinner the slices the better.  I usually pop my steak in the freezer for a bit before cutting to make things a little easier. 


Next mix up the marinade/sauce.  


Pop the meat into your sauce and preheat a large skillet with a drizzle of olive oil.


Put the onions in the hot pan for about two minutes. 


Sauté the broccoli with the onions for an additional 2 minutes.  We want to keep a crunch to the broccoli...no one like soggy broccoli. 


Remove broccoli and set aside. 


Next, sear and sauté your steak.  Make sure that your pan is screaming hot when you put it in. You want to create a brown crust on both sides of the meat.  As Anne Burrell says "brown food tastes good." And she is right.  


I did mine in two batches so that the meat was in a single layer...leave the majority of the sauce in the bowl.  


Add the second batch of meat.  When you are ready to flip your second batch, add the rest of the sauce, onion and broccoli.  Stir to combine over high heat for about 30 seconds. Ya, I spilled on the stove, what on it? 


You want to serve as soon as it is done.  Broccoli gets soggy and the whole essence of the dish is foiled. 


Serve with white or jasmine rice.  So tasty--sweet and spicy! 


I'm off to drink a gallon of lemonade.  


Enjoy! 

Ingredients 

  • 1 pound  Steak, Trimmed Of Fat And Sliced Very Thin Against The Grain
  • 3/4 cups Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger 
  • 1 Tablespoon Garlic 
  • 2 Heads of Fresh Broccoli 
  • 1/4 onion 
  • 3 Tablespoons  Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Crushed Red Pepper Plus Additional For Sprinkling
  • Jasmine Or Long Grain Rice, Cooked According To Package

Preparation

In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger and garlic. Add sliced meat to bowl and toss with hands. Set aside.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet or wok over high heat.  Saute thinly sliced onion for about two minutes. Add broccoli and stir for about 2 minutes. Remove to a separate plate. Set aside.
Allow pan to get very hot again. Add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl. Spread out meat as you add it to pan, but do not stir for a good minute. (You want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount a time as possible.) Turn meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.
Repeat with other half of meat, allowing pan to get very hot again first. After turning it, add the first plateful of meat, the rest of the marinade, and the broccoli. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Mixture will thicken as it sits.
Serve immediately over rice. Sprinkle crushed red pepper over the top. 
Enjoy! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs