Dad's Birthday Pie

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Believe it or not I have never made a pie before.  I always say I am more of a cook than I am a baker.  I don't like to measure, I like to add random things and taste them before the finished product hits the table.  You can't do those things in baking.  I am trying to push myself though so I decided to make a cherry pie for my dad's birthday.  Not just any pie my Grandma Agnes' Cherry Pie.  It is a recipe I received at one of my bridal showers from my Auntie Carol Ann.  She also was the one to give me the recipe for the Cranberry Orange Pull Apart Rolls.

My Auntie said that she typically does not make her own pie crust.  I hope I'm not outing her but, that really sealed the deal for making this pie.  Eventually, maybe just once, I will make my own crust.  But, with the whole family including my twin nieces around, time was of the essence.

Here goes my first. ever. pie.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY Dad!!!

Musical selection: Forever and Ever Amen by Randy Travis.  Since this song came out--a LONG long time ago, my dad has always sang it to me.

 Start by thawing your dough.  You will need a top and bottom crust.  I thawed two because I ended up making two pies.  One with this recipe and one with just cherry pie filling.
 Roll out your bottom pie crust dough.  Not very even...but I'm still learning.
 Place your crust in your pie pan.  Yeah I know, again not very pretty but, I'm learning.
 Next up, mix the cherries, tapioca, cinnamon, almond extract, white sugar and red food coloring together.  This will be pretty watery but don't worry it does thicken up as it cooks.
 Mix and let sit 15 minutes before putting into the crust.
 Place the cherry mixture into the pie crust.
 Next you will need to put your top crust on.  I did a basket weave.  You don't need to do this...you can just use a sheet and poke a few holes in the top.  Do what ever makes your skirt fly up.  But really, I can't tell you how I did this.  Honestly, not that its perfect or anything, but I kind of blacked out when I did it.
 Put it in the oven for 15 minutes at 425 then reduce to 400 for an additional 30 minutes.  If the edges start to get too brown, cover with tinfoil for the remaining time in the oven.
 mmmm....
 The basket weave is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but, I think it turned out pretty good.
 Lone slice...
 Now we're talking...whipped cream baby.
Okay, truth be told...I don't like cherry pie.  Nope, not at all. Hate cherries. So, my wonderful sister brought over this delish apple dessert that she and her grandma made.  Loved every single bite.  I'm told that I will eventually get the recipe for this.  Once I do, I will be sure to share.

Happy Father's Day to all you great dad's out there!!!!


Cherry Pie

2 frozen pie crusts (one for top one for bottom)
2 cans sour cherries packed in water
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons tapioca
5 drops red food coloring

Roll out your crust and place in a pie pan.

Mix cherries, sugar, almond extract, cinnamon, tapioca and food coloring.  Let sit 15 minutes.

Place the cherry filling into the pie crust.

Place the top crust on the pie.  Basket weave or top with a sheet of pie dough.  If you use a sheet make sure to cut a few slits on the top.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then reduce to 400 for 30 minutes.  If the edges get to brown cover them with tin foil for the remaining amount of time.

Serve with whipped cream and or ice cream.

Enjoy!!!

Recipe by: Agnes Donnay

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs