Stromboli

Saturday, June 4, 2011

I feel like I have been on a hiatus for the past few days. Mr. Schwartz and I have been busy eating left overs from all the goodness that has been coming out of the kitchen lately. And the formatting on the blog has been all messed up—I couldn’t add pictures for two days—still working on it, I know it looks different. Total disaster....

But, I have been itching to cross another item off of the list. Ultimately, I decided on Stromboli for dinner last night. There is a Trader Joe's right next to my bus stop and I popped in for some of their fantastic pizza dough...and wine--let's not kid ourselves.

After deciding on Stromboli for dinner I realized that yesterday was NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY! Humm...seriously considered changing our dinner plans but doughnuts do not a dinner make...or do they? Ultimately, I stuck with the original plan.

Here goes my first Stromboli.

Musical Selection: Om Nashi Me (Timmy the Terror Mix) by: Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

First start by chopping the veggies.

Preheat about a tablespoon of olive oil in your pan. Saute the veggies (including garlic) for about 4 minutes--you want to get them going but not cook them all the way. I like a little bite to my veggies. Set veggies aside.

Cook the Sausage as directed on the package. Drain and set aside.

Next start working on the pizza dough. Stretch it out until it is in a rectangle. I did this on our counter since our pizza peel isn't big enough to hold the rectangle.

Top the pizza dough with the veggies and meat.

Sprinkle...well more or less drench with the mozzarella.

Fold the dough over and pinch to seal.

Brush with melted butter or margarine.

Sprinkle with pizza seasoning. Cut a few slits in the top to allow the steam to escape. Pop the Stromboli into a preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. I used our pizza peel after sprinkling a little corn meal on so it didn't stick. I also love the texture of crunchy corn meal on the bottom.

Take your Stromboli out when it is golden brown and molten inside.

Serve with pizza or marinara sauce. We had ours with Mr. Schwartz's mom's home made pizza sauce! AMAZING! Thanks Mary!

Happy Weekend!

Supreme Stromboli

Ingredients

1 (10 ounce) package pizza crust dough

1/2 pound Italian Sausage

1/2 green bell pepper, chopped

1/2 red pepper, chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 tbs minced garlic

1 (14 ounce) jar pizza sauce

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 (8 ounce) package sliced pepperoni

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

2 tbs corn meal (optional)

1 tsp (or so) pizza seasoning (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a skillet over medium heat saute the peppers, onion and garlic for about 4 minutes. Next, Brown the sausage until no pink shows; drain.

Lay pizza dough flat on your counter (0r cookie sheet if you are not using a pizza peel) Distribute pepperoni and sausage slices over dough. Add the veggies. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over and pinch ends and sides together. Cut slits in the top and brush melted butter on it. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning.

Cook in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Slice into individual sections to serve with warm pizza or marinara sauce.






No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs