Buffalo Chicken Tacos

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Yesterday I went to Trader Joe's.  Have I ever told you how much I love Trader Joe's? I love Trader Joe's!  Now I did.   I always walk out with too many things and items I obviously don't need.  Such as....
Delish Salt Water Taffy.  For ser, this stuff is amazing--minus the strawberry banana. I made Mr. Schwartz eat it.
And this little delight, so cute and fun to grind over my latte in the morning.
Oh and don't let me forget the Luna bars.  I know I said that I end up getting things I don't need when I go to Trader Joe's but I do need Luna bars.  I eat one every morning at work.  Notice how many I bought though, Mr. Schwartz and I are moving very soon and I don't think that we will have a TJ's close by....and by close by I mean 10 minutes away.  It will be more like 20 minutes away.

Anyway, I really went to Trader Joe's for chicken.  I have been craving buffalo sauce, I think it has been about a week since I had it last.  Weird.  Since it was hotter than sin (phrase trademarked by my mom) yesterday and still is today, I wanted to make something lighter that didn't use a lot of heat to whip up.  I thought of Buffalo Chicken Salad but was hungrier than a salad for dinner.  So, I made Buffalo Chicken Tacos.  Yum.

Here's the breakdown....

Musical Selection: Walking on A Dream by: Empire of The Sun.  I feel like I am living on the sun.
Start by setting up your assembly line.  First, flour with black pepper and a bit of salt, next, egg with a little water, and lastly bread crumbs.
Dredge the chicken (I pounded mine thin so it would cook quick and evenly).  The flour allows the egg to stick...
Egg allows the breadcrumbs to stick...
Then breadcrumbs just stick.
Sautee in a frying pan with a bit of vegetable or canola or olive oil or peanut oil. Whatever oil you have on hand. This creates a very crispy texture without frying the chicken.
Then cut up your veggies and put together the assembly line.  I ALWAYS use Frank's Red Hot Sauce for Buffalo anything.
Once the chicken is cooked through, slice into strips
Drizzle (or drench) the chicken with the buffalo sauce
Assemble taco.  I like to put the cheese on the bottom so that it can melt a bit.  YUM.  I also added a bit of ranch that wasn't pictured before.
Amazing! I like these better than a Buffalo Chicken Wrap as they have less tortilla involved and more yummy toppings, buffalo sauce and chicken!
And to end, TJ's Mini Mint Chip Mouthfuls! SO good. 

Stay cool Minnesota. I really hope this heatwave is on it's way out!  Stay tuned for the big move! : ) 

Buffalo Chicken Tacos 
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4-6 taco shells 
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tbs water
1 cup breadcrumbs 
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup cheddar/Monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce 
1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
Green onion (optional) 
Ranch dressing (optional)

Start by assembling the assembly line: mix flour, pepper and salt together one one plate.  Egg and water on the middle plate then place the breadcrumbs on the last plate.  Dredge one chicken breast at a time into the flour (coat), then egg (coat) and breadcrumbs (coat).  Place in a preheated pan (about medium heat) with a drizzle of oil (canola, vegetable, olive).  Cook until no longer pink in the middle.

Slice chicken into pieces.  Drizzle with buffalo sauce.  Place chicken and toppings into tortillas and serve as tacos.  

Enjoy! 

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz 


1 comment :

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs