Cake Pops

Monday, July 11, 2011

As you know, my twin nieces birthday was this past week.  We celebrated BIG for these two little kiddos.  I volunteered to make potato salad, cake for the girls to dig into and cake pops.  I had a few trial runs before I got it right.

The first time, I made the recipe that if you google "cake pops" you will find.  Make a cake, crumble it up, mix it with a tub of frosting, roll into balls, freeze, put on sticks and coat in candy melts.  I thought it tasted okay but the texture was weird to me.

So, upon further investigation I found this bad boy....


I'm not a fan of getting anything that can only do one task so I was very skeptic. But, it was only $30 and I knew I needed help...I was making about 100 cake pops.  Yep.
I started by making two boxes of cake mix as directed.
I used a squeeze bottle with a little bit of the tip clipped off for easy pouring. 
Fill the cake pop maker and close.  They take between 3-4 minutes to cook.  This took a little time to really figure out...how full to fill, how long to bake.  But eventually I got it right. 
I process....as you can see the tops of the cakes don't get as brown as the bottom.  I would say that is the only down fall of the cake pop maker.  But, it really doesn't matter if you are coating them in something. 
Speaking of coating, the girls party was what we called "country kitchy."  ADORABLE! I will post more pictures later, but wow, my sister-in-law knows how to throw a party.  

But back to the coating.  I used a bag each of red and light blue candy melts.  Easily found at Michael's Craft store in various colors. I heated them up in the microwave in 1 minute intervals on power level 5. After it is heated, I added about 2 1/2 tablespoons of canola oil.  Without the oil the candy melts were too thick.  
It is kind of hard to see but, dip the stick (also found at Michael's) into the candy coating. 
Then pop your stick into the cake ball and use a spoon to coat.  I was home alone while I was doing this so I couldn't take a decent picture of this process.  But, tap the stick on the side of your bowl to get the excess off.  The cake ball will move around a bit but that is okay. 
Once you cake ball has been coated and the excess tapped off, put it onto a baking sheet to harden.  I added a few white sprinkles as well. 
Allow to harden...I let them go over night.  
The finished product at the party!!  I received a lot of compliments and I though they turned out really well! 
The whole table scape! I also made the little cakes for the girls to dig into.  But what is more notable is the great decorations! Such a fun and beautiful party Em!!! 
He he, Happy Birthday Little Ones!!! 

Stay tuned for the potato salad I made for the party as well-- all 15 pounds of it! : ) 


Cake Pops 

2 boxes cake mix + ingredients needed to make cake batter (oil, water, eggs)
2 bags of candy melts
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable/canola oil
80 lollypop sticks
80 paper cups (if desired)

Prepare cake mix as directed. 

Pour batter into a squeeze bottle or a zip lock bag with the corner cut off.

Preheat the cake pop maker until the green light comes on.

Fill each hole of the cake pop maker with the batter.

Cook 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove cake balls and allow to cool.

Melt candy melts in the microwave using 1 minute intervals on power level 5...stirring frequently.  Shouldn't take more than 2 1/2 minutes or so.

Put one end of the stick into the melted candy melts.  Place into the cake pop. Coat with the candy melt.  Tap the stick on the side of the bowl to remove the excess coating.

Place on a cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with sprinkles if desired...allow to harden.  

Enjoy!!! 



3 comments :

  1. Eftychia, yes, very tasty yet very time consuming considering how many I made! And I would also have to agree--cute babies!! I can say that without feeling conceded since they are my nieces. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cake pops. Mrs. Shwartz. I've been tempted to buy that pop maker- at least it's a real cake inside as opposed to smushed with frosting , right? Very cute birthday display and most cute recipients too-

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs