Egg Bake

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hey, it's Wednesday evening and I'm real tired but I haven't posted for a few days so here I am. Oh the things I do for you.  This recipe is from an egg bake I whipped up quick before Mr. Schwartz's Birthday Party.  I knew that we would possibly have people staying over and thought I should probably have something to feed them if they did.  I knew I wasn't going to want to make something the day of so this was perfect, just mix everything together and pop it in the oven the day of.  

I have made a ton of egg bakes in my day.  Not to toot my own horn by typically people rave about them.  Let me let you in on a little secret a. I never use a recipe and b. an egg bake is just eggs and other stuff thrown together.  There is no need to follow this recipe exactly by any means, just use it as a template for others.  I tossed a few things in I had on hand and it came out great.  

Give this a try the next time you might have people saying over and will most likely be a little moldy in the am.  I was glad I did.  


Musical Selection: Knee Deep by: Zach Brown Band. I know it's a summer tune but I can't get it out of my head. 
 Start with a meat and some veggies.  I diced up some ham and had green pepper and onions in the fridge.
 Whisk up a few eggs and add some type of milk.  I used evaporated milk but you can totally use regular milk.  I liked the consistency this added.
 Next add the cheese.  This time I used cheddar but feel free to use swiss, pepper jack or whatever you have on hand...maybe not mozzarella though.
 Next, I would call this my secret weapon: croutons.  Seriously these add so much flavor its fantastic.
 Mix it all up together.
 Pour it into a 9x13 baking dish and pop in the refrigerator over night.
 When you are ready bake it in the oven for about an hour and 15 minutes on 350.  Check it at about an hour to see how it is baking. Make sure it is fully cooked by putting a knife in the middle and if it comes out clean its cooked.
Yum, another successful egg bake.  And keep in mind if you make this on a Sunday the left overs are great all week!  



Egg Bake
8 whole eggs
1 can evaporated milk or 1 cup of regular milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1 medium onion
1 green pepper
1 cup ham
1 1/2 cups croutons

Dice the green pepper, onion and ham.  Combine with the remaining ingredients.  Pour into a 9x13 baking dish, cover and place in the refrigerator over night. When you are ready to bake it, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Bake for an hour and check how it's going.  Place a knife in the middle and when it comes out clean it is fully cooked.  It will most likely take at least an hour and 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs