Rice Bake

Friday, September 30, 2011

This week I have been very lazy.  Let's just say I haven't gone to the grocery store yet...at all.  That's a big deal in our house.  Typically I go at least once a week to grab some produce and at least a gallon of milk for my baby calf husband.  This week I just wasn't feeling it and wanted to use some of the things I have on hand.  I took an inventory: tons of celery, onions from my parent's friend's dad (yeah like an urban legend), cream of somethin' soups, ham, frozen veggies and of course rice.  I thought to myself, Rice Bake sounds good and this little recipe was born. 

Since I was coming up with this one on my own I really didn't know how much liquid I would need.  So, don't laugh when you see me add more soup half way though this recipe.  Do as I say in the recipe not as I do in the pictures.  See, I'll be a good parent right? 

Mr. Schwartz is out of the house this weekend and I'm so excited to lay around in my pj's work on this little blog I have going and eat things he wouldn't like.  Well, he really likes everything so tonight I will really have to think of something.  Hummm.... 

Anyway, enjoy your day today it's a beautiful one in Minnesota!  Happy Weekend.

Musical Selection: Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second by Starf**ker.  I'm planning on jamming to this as soon as I get home and pour myself a glass of wine.  As Riri says, cheers to the freakin' weekend. It has been one hell of a week. 
Start by chopping up your celery and onions.  Put them in a frying pan with a drizzle of canola/olive oil.
Dice up some carrots as well. I never peel mine.
Toss them in the pan and season with salt and pepper. Side note: green pepper would be ah-mazing in here as well.
Dice up the ham. Add it to the pan as well. I don't know if you know, but ham is amazing once it browns a bit so let it sit in the pan for a bit to start to brown it.
Grab the veggies out of the fridge.  This is my favorite-asparagus, corn and baby carrots.  Mr. Schwartz picks out all of the baby carrots he says they are "too sweet."  What-evs.
Next, add the rice to the pan...
As well as the cream of chicken/mushroom/celery soups.  Okay, here is where I messed up, it totally needs two cans.  I used cream of chicken and cream of mushroom. Use whatever you have on hand.
As well as 3 cans of milk.  Yep, I didn't add enough milk either. I think 3 cans will work great.
Add the cheese...
And frozen veggies.  I think this would be okay with out the extra veggies but might as well throw them in.
Pour it into a greased/sprayed 9x13 pan and bake at 375 for at least an hour.  Once it gets to an hour stir it and check to see if the rice is cooked.  Mine wasn't...
Yep, busted.  After an hour of cooking this baby was dry dry dry and the rice was not cooked since it didn't have any moisture to absorb.  As you can see here, I added another can of soup...and two more cans of milk. See, aren't you happy I try these recipes out for you?
The end result.  Let's just say it ain't no risotto but this stuff is pretty good and quite easy to throw together.
I topped mine with a little parm and parsley.  Leftovers of this were fantastic as well.  Just a tip, if it gets too dry when reheating, add a little more milk and it will be perfect. 

Rice Bake
1 large onion
1 cup celery
1 cup diced ham
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cup long grain rice
2 cans cream of mushroom/chicken/celery soup
3 cans milk
1 bag of frozen veggies
Parmesan cheese/parsley for topping (optional)

Preheat your oven to 375

Dice the onions, celery and ham.  Put into a frying pan with a drizzle of canola/olive oil.  Sauté until the veggies soften and the ham browns a bit. 

Pour in the remaining ingredients, stir until combined.  

Grease/spray a 9x13 baking dish and pour mixture in.  

Bake for an hour.  Stir the bake and check to see if the rice is cooked.  If it looks dry add a little additional milk and continue baking until the rice is fully cooked. 

Top with parmesan cheese and parsley 

Enjoy! 

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs