Country Club Melt, Redone.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Have you ever had a Country Club Melt at Perkins?  Have you ever heard of Perkins!?  If you answer these questions with a big n.o. I'm sorry to hear that.  But, this might help.  The Country Club Melt consists of melty American cheese, bacon that is sometimes crispy, tomatoes (not for me) and turkey.  Seriously out of control good.  This is a sandwich that we would crave after the bar.  With a side of sweet honey mustard and cool ranch it is quite unstoppable.  

I thought I would put my own spin on the classic and make it at home.  So easy...and awesome since I have a panini press--thanks sis (Jenna).  This sandwich is out of control good and you really don't need a panini press but it really does help.  

Mr. Schwartz wasn't around to experience this one and I know he is going to be a sad pup when he finds out...so let's keep this between us, shall we?  Thanks, I appreciate your help. 

Give this a shot for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.  

Musical Selection: Keep Me In Mind by: Zac Brown Band.  I just love how chill his music is. 
Okay, I know  you are thinking this looks weird....bacon on a cooling rack, what the heeeck.  But it was awesome....I hate frying bacon in a pan.  Getting spattered with bacon grease is not my kind of fun.  So, I googled how to bake it and it couldn't be easier.  Line a baking sheet (use a jelly roll pan actually so the grease doesn't get outta hand and get everywhere) then place a cooling rack on the tin foil, then the bacon on that.  Set your oven to 400 degrees and put the bacon in.  Do not preheat the oven.  Let this bake away for about 17 minutes.  I like really crispy bacon so I did mine for about 22 minutes give or take.  Just keep checking it.
While my bacon was in the oven I grilled some chicken in our grill pan.  Seriously love grill pans, it cooks things so much quicker and makes for a really flat chicken breast.  I did pound mine out ahead of time and I would suggest doing the same, but whatever floats your boat.
I made sure to season the heck out of it with salt and pepper.  I like tasty chicken not bland chicken.
22 minutes later and this bacon is ready to go.  Check it out, so easy and they are nice and flat!!! LOVE this.
Now it is time for assembly.  Take your cheese and place it on both sides of the bread.  Lotta cheese going on in this sandy.  Then place the bacon on top of that.  Oh and I used French bread for this...but use whatever you have on hand. A bulkier bread usually stands up better to the panini press though since it will be smooshed.
Place the chicken on top of one side...
Give a little squirt of ranch and put the two sides together.
Give it a good press in the panini maker.  If you don't have one make it like a grilled cheese in a frying pan.  Also, I don't use butter or oil in my panini press.  I know it makes for a really pretty golden color but A I don't like scrubbing grease off of the grill and I have enough calories/fat in this bad boy.  Cheese, bacon, ranch.  Yeah, I'm good.
Okay, so you might be wondering what the heck is up with the lighting in this picture.  Well, here is a little insight to my blogging.  If I'm not posting things from the weekend, I rush home, throw my purse down and get right to making dinner especially this time of year when I have about 30 minutes of natural  light until the sun goes down.  Yesterday I knew I wanted to blog about my sandwich but it was rainy and super dark out.  As soon as I put this baby into the press, the sun came out and I caught a glimpse of this pretty rainbow out of my kitchen window.  Hence the looking through the screen.  Anyway, the last two pictures of the finish product were lucky enough to be shot in natural light.  Moving on....
Open up your press and this is what you will find.  Hello melty beauty.
Hack it in half and just admire...
And again. I did have full intention of taking more pictures...you know the kind that have a bite taken out of the side to show the gooey goodness?  Well, I put my camera down to take a bite....just for the picture you know.  I took the bite. And another, and another, and then I finished it all.  If you really want to see what it likes with a bite of out it, you will have to make your own.  

Happy Tuesday.  

Country Club Melt, Redone

2 slices of French bread (or whatever you have on hand) 
4 slices of bacon, cooked
2 slices of American cheese
1 grilled chicken breast
Drizzle of ranch

Place cheese on both sides of the bread.  Layer with bacon on each side.  Place grilled chicken on one side, drizzle ranch on the other.  Put the two sides together and put into a preheated panini press or into a frying pan to make like a grilled cheese.  Cook until cheese is melted and the bread is crispy. 

Enjoy!!!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs