Cilantro Pesto Fajita Tacos

Monday, January 23, 2012

Cilantro Pesto, doesn't that sound weird?  I thought so too, but these were really quite tasty.  I did make the chicken and use it in enchiladas a few months ago as well.  I was hosting my sister-in-law's and my birthday and was faaaar too distracted to take any pictures.  Sorry.  I will probably make them again and if I'm not too busy gabbing I will be sure to take pictures. 

This is another recipe I found on Pinterest.  It is super quick and really packs quite the flavor punch.  Make the pesto the night before, smother your chicken with it and whip up some quick chicken tacos the next day.  

Before I forget, today is the LAST day to enter the Stella and Dot giveaway so do it now!! Click here for that blog post.

Musical Selection: Son's Gonna Rise by: Citizen Cope.  This song puts me right back into my college days.  No, I was not a stoner but I did listen to some stoner music.  Hugs not drugs kids.
Start by combining the pesto ingredients in a food processor.  I'm sure you could use a blender as well.  Here is the garlic and onions.
Add the cilantro.
Olive oil
Almonds and lime juice.  Yes, I used that crappy lime juice that comes in that weird squeeze bottle.  I didn't have any fresh limes. Judge away.
Sprinkle in the salt.
Doesn't it look pretty already?
I had to blend it a bit since I was running out of room.  Then I added the parmesan cheese.
Blend again until fairly smooth.
Like I said, smother the chicken with it and cover with plastic wrap.  Place it in the refrigerator over night.  I'm sure you could let this marinate for less time but, I did over night.
The next day, cook the chicken in a frying pan that has been drizzled with canola or olive oil.
Okay, with the cheese things got dicey.  As you can see it got "really brown" well, more like black.  But, it was okay, I was making fajita style tacos.  A little char was good.
But I ended up taking out of the pan and finishing the cooking.  This worked just fine.  I would suggest cutting the chicken into strips before cooking it.
When the chicken was just about done, I tossed in red peppers
And onions.
Sautee until tender.
Serve in a tortilla.  Look at all that flavor!
And your favorite taco toppings.  


Cilantro Pesto Tacos: 
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sliced, almonds
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoon salt


Using a food processor or blender, mix together the cilantro, olive oil, almonds, garlic, lime juice, Parmesan and salt on low speed for 2 minutes or until smooth.  Pour over chicken breasts that have beens sliced into bite sized pieces, let marinate over night in the refrigerator. 

The next day, preheat a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil.  Cook the chicken until no longer pink in the middle.  Add peppers and onions (if you desire) and cook until tender. 

Serve with soft tortillas, cheese, lettuce and salsa. 

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from: here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs