Amazing Scalloped Potatoes

Sunday, March 4, 2012

I know, I have been promising these "amazing scalloped potatoes" for some time now.  Well, the wait is over, here they are!  Oh man, these babies are fantastic.  Michelle at Brown Eyed Baker featured them a while ago and I finally made them.  Typically I modify and change things up a bit when I find a recipe but these didn't need any changes what-so-ever.  

I served them with stuffed pork chops and since we made enough for an army we had them for left overs for quite some time.  I do have to say they are just as good the second or in our case the third day.  I promise you, these are a huge crowd pleaser!  

Also, there is some stuff going on in the blogosphere I want to make you aware of.  Google friend connect is going away!  BOOOO!!! That means my wonderful 46 followers will no longer be updated when I post.  I'm actually pretty sad about this because this is how I follow a lot of blogs myself.  But, have no fear, there are many ways to stay up-to-date with my posts.  First, you can like me on Facebook here at Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen.  Second, you can follow me on Pinterest.  I always pin my recipes after I post them on the blog.  Be sure to follow my Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen board.  Lastly (for now), I am also on Twitter.  My Twitter handle is: MSchwartzKitch .  I'm in the process of revamping the blog--stay tuned for a bunch of fun and pretty looking things coming down the line! 

Okay, let's get on with it! 

Musical Selection: Brighter Than the Sun by: Colbie Caillat.  It's a really sunny in MN today! As in, I if I don't look at the ground it's like summer…only a month or so until we can see the ground again! 
Start by peeling a million potatoes.  Well, not a million but a lot.
Slice them thinly with a mandolin.  If you don't have one, be very careful and slice them thinly with a sharp  knife.  I liked using the mandolin so they were the same thickness.
I soaked them in water while I was slicing so they didn't get brown. Set the potatoes aside, for now.
Slice an onion.
Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a large pot.
Add the onions.
Chop up some garlic.
Check on the onions, once they soften a bit...
Add the garlic.
The cream...
And milk,
Toss in the thyme and bay leaves.
Add the salt...
Pepper...
Ad potatoes.
Give it a good stir.  Your kitchen will be smelling fantastic.  Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, pour the potatoes into a large baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
Top with cheddar cheese.
And a bit of parmesan cheese.  Okay, I modified one tiny thing. Since I was using this dish for a dinner party, I made the potatoes ahead of time, covered with Press and Seal and popped them into the fridge until it was time to put them in the oven.  When it was about 30 minutes until go time, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and baked them for about 20 minutes.
They came out and looked like this!  Oh man.  I did not follow the directions and let them sit.  I think that is why they were kind of runny.  Who cares, that runny sauce was like a taste of heaven.  
There they are as leftovers with the Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken.  Yum and yum. 


Amazing Scalloped Potatoes 

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese 


Heat oven to 350 degrees. 
Melt butter in large Dutch oven (or large, heavy-bottomed saucepan) over medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Add onion and saute until it turns soft and begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add cream, milk, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and potatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a light simmer, and cook until potatoes are almost tender (paring knife can be slipped into and out of center of potato slice with some resistance), about 15 minutes.
Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Transfer potato mixture to a large baking dish and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake until the cream has thickened and is bubbling around sides and the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!
Recipe By: Michelle at Brown Eyed Baker, thank you Michelle! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs