Easy Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches

Thursday, March 1, 2012

These are incredibly easy, hence the whole "Easy Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches" name.  So easy that it only takes a few minutes to prep before you go to work.  Come home to a wonderfully smelling home and dinner.  

I usually prep things the night before and put the crock of the Crockpot in my fridge over night.  If I do it that way, I can pop in frozen meat or veggies and they will defrost in the fridge over night.  The next morning I putt he crock into the pot and turn it on.  Walk my keester out the door and go to work.  Come home and we are good to go.  

I'm always looking for new Crockpot or slow cooker as most call it recipes.  Please leave any and all suggestions in the comments section.  

Musical Selection: Happy As the Sun by: Tyrone Wells.  It's just adorable.
Start by slicing up an onion.
And mixing up some beef broth.  I didn't have any in a carton so I used some beef bullion and water.  Watkins is my favorite brand.
Then, add a package of onion soup mix and take a blurry picture of that.  Yep, done and done. (sorry)
Chop up some garlic while you are at it.
Okay, then spray the heck (with cooking spray) out of the crockpot.  Layer the onions and garlic on the bottom. 
Pour in the beef stock and onion soup mix.
Plop in the meat.  I used a beef roast for this and it was perfect.
I also added a bit of red wine.  This is optional but I really liked the flavor it added.
Season liberally with black pepper.  Since the onion soup and beef broth were pretty salty I didn't season the meat with salt. You do you.
Came home from work and this is what was waiting.
Take it out, and slice it or shred it into pieces.
Place it back into the juices and onions.
I thought it needed a little more flavor so I added some Worcestershire Sauce as well.  Since I was coming up with the recipe, I added it after the fact.  When I make this again I will add it in when I add the other liquids.
Toast the buns if you are into that sort of thing.
Layer the meat onto your buns and fill a ramekin with the a jus.  That's the best part of french dips right?
Now that's what I'm talking about. Dippers.  

Easy Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches

1 medium sized onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth (or two cups water and two or three tablespoons of beef base)
1 packet onion soup mix
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce 
1/4 cup or so of dry red wine
1 beef roast-- 2 to 3 lbs
Rolls for serving 

Spray your crock pot with cooking spray.  Layer in the onion, top with garlic.  That way it won't stick to the bottom...hopefully.

Combine the beef broth, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce and wine.  Pour this mixture over the onions and garlic.  

Add the beef.  Season liberally with black pepper.  

Cook on low for about 8 hours.  If you need it to cook a bit longer, that is okay.  I haven't tried it on high but I think you could cook it on high for about 4 hours.  Try it out and let me know! 

Once it is cooked, remove the meat and slice or shred the beef.  Place it back into the crock pot with the a jus and onions.  

Toast your buns, layer the meat on the buns and serve with a ramekin of a jus.

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs