Rainbow Cookies and Ice Cream Sandwiches

Thursday, May 24, 2012


Let me say it, I'm basically a computer genius.  Okay, maybe I wouldn't go thaaat far but, I did fix iPhoto all by myself.  A little googling and crossing my fingers poof iPhoto was back up and running.  That means I could upload all of the pictures from my camera and start a-bloggin'.  I'm baaaaack.  Okay, I'm done being annoying.

Are you ready to make the weirdest cookies in the world?  Well, you should be, it's time.  Would you believe me if I told you there is NO butter, NO margarine, NO shortening in these cookies?  If you are a baker you are wondering "what kind of fat will we use then?"  Let me tell you: canola oil.  I know, SO weird huh?  

This is Mr. Schwartz, yes you read that correctly MR. Schwartz's recipe.  He makes these every year for deer hunting and they go fast.  Luckily this recipe makes about a million cookies.  Less if you are like me and like huge cookies.  

Since they have a different texture, less fluffy more chewy yet being crisp on the outside, I figured they would be the perfect cookie for ice cream sandwiches.  They are perfection.  Let's get to it. 

Musical Selection: Songs About Rain by: Gary Allan. Probably One of my all time favorite songs.  For real.  It won't stop raining in Minnesota and it always reminds me how much I love this song.  That and driving from Minnesota all the way to Daytona Beach, Florida with 4 college buddies.  We drove through Kentucky in the rain and only my friend Erin was up with me since it was about 5 am.  Something I will never forget.  
Start by combining the oil (I know it's weird, we will get through this together)
Sugar
Brown sugar
Burry vanilla
And eggs.  Give it a good stir.  I love that you can make this in a large bowl, no stand mixer needed.
Add the baking soda
And flour.
Stir just to combine.
Add the chocolate chips
And mini m&ms.  It took me for-ever to find these little guys.  Guess where they showed up?  Walmart.  Who would have guessed!
Scoop them out using a cookie scoop.  Technically I used my Pampered Chef muffin scoop.  Make sure there is a lot of space between these guys, they spread a lot. Bake for 10 minutes.  
See that flat weird cookie, it tastes like heaven.
Studded with m&ms and melty chocolate chips.
Now we are talking.
Absolute perfection.  But wait...
Here we go.  Freeze the cookies until they are completely frozen.  Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream to one side.
And smash on another cookie.  Enjoy immediately but if you can wait, freezing these guys makes them easier to eat.  I love that you can take a bite and they don't crumble.  These will be our summer go-to treat.  

Rainbow Cookies
1 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 cups flour 
1 package (about 1 1/2 cups) mini m&ms
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips 

Combine the oil, sugars, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.  Stir to combine. 

Add the baking soda and flour and stir just until it comes together.  Don't over mix.  Fold in the m&ms and chocolate chips. 

Scoop onto a greased (or silpat lined) baking sheet with a muffin scoop.  If you don't have a muffin scoop you can use a 1/4 cup measuring cup.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  When done baking let sit on the baking sheet to set for about 3 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks. 

To make the ice cream sandwiches
Freeze two cookies in the freezer until fully frozen.  Once frozen, scoop one scoop of your favorite ice cream onto the bottom of one cookie.  Place another cookie on top and gently squeeze together.  You can enjoy now but they are easier to eat if you freeze them for a bit.  

Enjoy! 



1 comment :

  1. Stop it. Just stop. I can't even think straight now, because all I can think about is how much I want one of these. Thanks a whole big stinking pile.

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs