Cheesy Veggie Rice

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I'm always looking for new side dishes.  I feel like I can come up with a main dish no problem but what the heck should I serve on the side?  Well, I like Rice-a-Roni as much as the next person but all of that salt and artificial stuff?  I guess I will leave it.  Leave it for this Cheesy Veggie Rice.  Seriously so much tastier and better for you!  I used brown jasmine rice and loaded it up with well, veggies.  It is the perfect little side dish and you can totally pull one over on your kiddos since it is covered with cheese.  
 Start by grating some zucchini.
 I like to let it sit on a paper towel for a bit after so it can soak up the liquid.
 Next, shred up some carrots.  Set the veggies aside for now.
 Chop up some garlic
 And melt some butter in a sauce pan.
 Add the garlic to the pan…take a blurry picture (sorry, it was dark--blasted no light in Minnesota already!)
 Add chicken stalk
 And rice.  Cook the rice as instructed on the package but just about 5 minutes short.  Does that make any sense?
 Meanwhile grate some cheese.  Here's a little tip, pop the cheese in the freezer for a few minutes before grating, you will be pleasantly surprised how much easier it is.
 One cup…or so.  Ps. how bomb is this OXO grater that has a measuring cup.  yeah, it's bomb.
 Once it is just shy of all the way cooked, add the carrots and zucchini.
 And peas.  Yum, I love peas.  Stir and let this sit, covered, for the additional time aka 5 minutes.
 Add the cheese and stir up the cheesy veggie goodness.
 You are going to want to make this.
Like now.

Cheesy Veggie Rice

1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Brown Jasmine Rice (or long grain white or brown rice)
2 cups chicken stalk
1/2 cup zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Start by preheating a sauce pan on medium heat with the butter.  Once the butter starts to melt, add the garlic and let it cook for about two minutes.

Add the rice and chicken stalk.  Bring to a boil and cook according to the directions that come with the rice but shy about 5 minutes.  For example, my rice typically takes 35 minutes.  I cooked it for 30.

After the rice is almost cooked, add the shredded zucchini and carrots as well as the peas.  Stir and place the cover back on the saucepan.  Let cook for the remaining 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes, stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz inspired by: Pink Parsley



6 comments :

  1. This looks great. I love cheese and rice plus peas. Good side dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah. Rice, cheese, peas, carrots, garlic. Yum. Not convinced on the zucchini, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! Deb is right, you can't taste it at all! I'm not a huge fan of zucchini myself...unless it's in chocolate zucchini cake! :)

      Delete
  3. Kathy - you can't taste the zucchini, it is just filler and adds nutrients. I grate it (along with carrots) into all my 'meat' dishes; spaghetti, tator tot hotdish, etc. This is very similar to a Rice Pilaf that I make using pretty much the same recipe, just 1/2 orzo 1/2 rice and I like to add mushrooms and onions. Can't wait to try this version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO true! You really can't taste it. I never thought of putting it in spaghetti or hotdish! I'm totally going to try that.

      Delete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs