Poppyseed Chicken Salad

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The other day I had a hankering for chicken salad.  I have no idea where it came from and the funny thing about it, I have only had chicken salad once in my life.  But, I had to have it.  I was too lazy to even look up a recipe so I just adapted my Chicken with Dried Cherries Pasta Salad recipe to a chicken salad recipe.  

The results, my friends, amazing.  I would eat this stuff slathered on an old boot.  But, I think it does taste best on soft whole wheat bread with two layers of Romaine lettuce.  It would also be great on crackers as a little snack or lazy dinner.  Let's get it going...
Start with chopping up a few green onions
And celery.  That's all the chopping that is needed. Did I mention this recipe is super easy?
Then you get started on the dressing.  One cup of Mayo...I used the "light mayo" and it was great.  Ps. how tan is my hand!?  (Disclaimer: it does not look like that in real life).
Add a tablespoon of powdered sugar
Some poppy seeds
Salt
A good amount of black pepper
Splash of vinegar, I used white Balsamic
And dried mustard.  Give it a good stir. Taste and make sure you don't need any more salt and or pepper
Okay, I kind of cheated but it was worth it.  I shredded two rotisserie chicken breasts.  I love them.
Add in the green onions, celery along with some dried cranberries and almonds.
Add the dressing a little at a time until you reach your desired amount.  I used every drop and it was perfection.  It as if it was meant to be..which is good because I really didn't know what I was doing.
Then the sandwich construction begins.  Bread, lettuce.
Top with a good amount of the chicken salad.
And Romaine again.  Double Romaine is essential.
Other slice of bread.

Mr. Schwartz was standing over my shoulder when I was making this saying, "so what do you put in chicken salad...." and basically cringed after every addition.  Dried cranberries set him over the edge but he agreed to try it.
The verdict: He loves.  And so do I.  And I love him too.  It's just a big o' love fest.

Poppyseed Chicken Salad
(Makes enough for 4 sandwiches with a good amount in each)


1 cup Mayo, light is okay
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
3/4 tablespoon (just estimate) poppy seeds
1 teaspoon salt
10 cracks or so black pepper
Splash (1-2 teaspoons or so) white vinegar, I used white Balsamic
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
2 rotisserie chicken breasts, shredded

2-3 green onions, finely chopped
2 ribs/stalks of celery, cut pretty finely

1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Romaine, for sandwich
Whole wheat bread, for sandwich

In a small bowl, combine the mayo, powdered sugar, poppy seeds, salt, black pepper, white vinegar and dried mustard.  Give it a good stir to combine and taste for seasonings.  Add additional salt and pepper to your taste.

Add the chicken, onions, celery, cranberries and almonds into a large bowl.  Add the dressing, a little at a time, until you reach your desired amount.

To construct the sandwich, place a piece of bread, then a layer or Romaine lettuce, then slather on the chicken salad, top with more Romaine and the other slice of bread.

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs