Best Ever Chicken Wild Rice Soup

Friday, September 9, 2011

Part of me didn't want to post this recipe so I could keep it all to myself.  Typically I'm not a selfish person but, I kind of want everyone to think I'm this real Betty Crocker Homemaker kinda lady and this  soup would seal the deal if people didn't know-- that it is insanely easy.  All of the spices are from a box of Uncle Ben's rice.  I know, for real.  Could not get easier.  I had visions of having our friends over this winter and they would swoon over steaming bowls of this soup asking for the recipe and me saying "oh, it's just a little of this and a little of that--I didn't even write it down or use a recipe." 

But the cats out of the bag--this soup is amazing and amazingly easy to make.  Your welcome. 

Musical Selection:  Cheers (Drink to That) by: Rihanna.  It has been one long week.  Cheers kids. 
Start by adding the butter into a warm Dutch oven or stock pot.  Then chop your onions and add them to the pot.
Also add a few stalks of celery.  I also added a few of the leaves of the celery, this is a trick my Momma taught me.  She makes the most amazing Corn Chowder (recipe from my grandma) and adds the tops of the celery.  So much flavor in those little babies.
Add the celery to the pot.
Next get to work on the carrots.  I used these humungo ones.  I like to keep them rustic and keep the peel on.  Just give them a good wash first.  Also, I like to buy organic carrots.  For whatever reason they have a ton more flavor.  They are the only organic thing I buy on purpose.  Another trick from my Momma.
Pop them in the pot.  We have a little mirepoix going on here. Tell your friends that's how it starts when you are describing how you make the soup.  They will think you are cool. You are cool btw.
Add a little s + p.  I was careful with the salt because I accidentally picked up chicken stock that was not low sodium.  I like to cook with low sodium chicken stalk so I can control the amount of salt in whatever I'm making.  If you are a loyal reader you know I'm a fan of salt but I understand not everyone is.
Speaking of stock, add some.
Okay, do you remember from here that I keep the drippings from when I buy rotisserie chicken or cook Buffalo Chicken Dip?  Well, this lonely bag of frozen chicken drippings made it in the move and I was so happy it did.  This adds SO much flavor.  I added it to the pot.
Shred up the chicken.  Let me just say, I'm 100% dissatisfied with Super Target today.  I always set myself up before I go in that I will be sad with the tiny chicken I will buy there since they have the smallest rotisserie chickens I have ever seen.  But today there was a new low.
See this, Savory Oven Roasted Chicken.  My arce!  It was FOR SURE the Fiesta Spiced something chicken.  I checked before I picked it out that it was not that kind but, I got home and it sure was.  I asked Mr. Schwartz what the chicken tasted like and he said "I don't know a taco? What are you making?"  Me: "CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP! I DON'T WANT IT TO TASTE LIKE A TACO!" Mr. Schwartz: "Well, can I eat the leg?"  grrr....but really it didn't ruin anything but I could tell the difference.  Super Target--you are on my list. Be.ware.
Anywho, pour the drippings into the pot as well.
Once it comes to a boil, add the rice and seasoning packet.  See that, 23 herbs and seasonings! You can't beat that.
After the rice is cooked--about 20 minutes, add the chicken.  I found that if you add the chicken too early and let it boil it gets tough and dry.
Work on the slurry mixture after.  Add the flour to the 1/2 and 1/2.  The original recipe calls for heavy cream and I really don't think it's needed at all.  There is so much flavor in it without it being super, extra fatty.
Whisk it together.
Pour the 1/2 and 1/2 and flour mixture into the pot.
Let it simmer away for about 10 more minutes or until it is at your desired thickness.
Ladle this tasty love child into your favorite bowl.
Top with a little parsley and serve with crusty bread.
Mother may I!?  This soup is insane.  I'm obsessed.  

Enjoy!!! And ah, HAPPY FRIDAY!!! 

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium onions, diced
4 ribs celery, chopped + a few tops, chopped
4 large carrots, cubed
6 cups chicken broth (low sodium recommended)
2 rotisserie chicken breasts or cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts 
1-6 oz. box Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice + seasoning packet
1 1/2 cups half and half (fat free is fine)
1/3 cup all purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:  
In large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat butter. Sautee onions, celery and carrots on medium low heat for 10 minutes. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and rice + the seasoning packet it came with. Simmer lightly for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. In small bowl, whisk cold half and half with flour until smooth. Pour into soup pot and reduce heat completely to low. Cook 10 minutes or until rice is softened completely and soup has thickened slightly. Taste and season accordingly. Serve with crusty bread and garnish with parsley.  

ENOY!  

Recipe adapted from here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs