Winter Pot Roast

Monday, October 3, 2011

Mr. Schwartz was out of town this weekend for a "work" function.  I like to say "work" because it consisted of fishing, golfing and drinking.  Must be rough.  For me, it consisted of sleeping in (until 10:30) making all sorts of food (stay tuned) and celebrating one of my faves liberation--so proud of you MW.  

I was brainstorming things I could make that Mr. Schwartz doesn't like but truthfully, he really likes everything.  I'm pretty lucky that way.  But, I did decide to make Winter Pot Roast since it's not his favorite.  He asked me to make "normal pot roast" instead quite a few times.  Do not let this deter you because honestly I think this is the best pot roast ever.  

I got this recipe from my dear sister (in-law) Emily last year and it has been quite life changing.  She called on Friday evening to check in and see what I was doing since she knew my hubs was out of town. It went something like this "Hey seester, whatcha doin'?"  "Oh nothing just sitting down for dinner."  "What did you make?"  "Winter Pot Roast."  "Just for you?" "Yep, I'm not even sad about it."  "You are 100% goon."  

So, make this for your family, your friends or yourself.  I promise you will enjoy it.  Tonight I'm determined to come up with a way to use the remaining meat since I ate this on my own there is quite a bit left.  The plot thickens...

Happy Monday!

Musical Selection: Reunited by Peaches and Herb.  It was in my head all day yesterday after Mr. Schwartz came home.  
Start by  mixing up the sauce.  You will need: Steak sauce
Tomato Sauce and ketchup
Garlic.
Sugar.
Salt.
Worcestershire sauce.
Mix it up.  And don't mind the Skittles that made it into the picture.
Pour half of the sauce in the bottom of the crock pot and place the meat on top.  Be sure to spray the crock pot with cooking spray or it will be a B to clean later.
Slice up some onions....and I say that plurally.  I only had one half of an onion.  Use two, its much better.
Toss them in the crock pot.
Scrub the potatoes and pop them in the pot as well..on the sides.
Cut up a boatload of carrots.
See, I told you, a boatload.  I love carrots in pot roast more than anything ever.  Where did the meat go!? 
Pour the sauce over the top of everything.  I made this the evening before and put it the refrigerator.  That way in the morning I could just turn it on and come home to a perfect meal.  I cooked it on low for the entire day about 6:45 am to 5:30 pm.  If you want you could probably put it on high for 4 hours but I haven't tried that so don't quote me.
When I got home I took some of the sauce and reduced it in a small sauce pan.  I like I thicker sauce.
This is the end result.  Seriously so good.  Makes me hungry looking at it again.  The meat is insanely tender, the potatoes are so soft and have the texture of pillowy mashed potatoes.  Don't even get me started on the carrots, sweet, salty and utterly soft.  Ahhh...
So good yet Mr. Schwartz is not convinced.  Anyone have any "normal" pot roast recipes to share? Feel free to leave them in the comments section.  

Winter Pot Roast
2-3 lb pot roast 
1 can tomato sauce (16 oz)
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon steak sauce (I used knocke off A1)
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
6 shakes Worcestershire sauce  
2 medium onions
6-8 red skinned potatoes
4 large carrots (or 6 if you love them as much as I do)

Prepare the sauce: 

Sir tomato sauce, ketchup, steak sauce, garlic, salt, sugar and Worcestershire sauce together.  Pour half of the sauce into a greased (sprayed) crock pot.  

Place pot roast on top of the sauce.  

Thinly slice the onions and arrange around the meat.  Wash potatoes and add to the pot around the sides of the meat.  Wash the carrots, cut into thick match sticks and place on top of everything.  

Cook in the crock pot all day on low.  

Enjoy!!!

Recipe from: Sisterfy. Em. 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs