Almond Joy Scones

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

As you know, Mr. Schwartz was out of town this past weekend and I was stuck trying to think of things he doesn't like to eat.  This guy really eats everything.  Even things he doesn't like.  So weird.  He doesn't like tomatoes at all but when we are dining out he leaves them on his sandwiches because they are "good for you."  Gross.  I would rather enjoy my over priced sammy and eat it the way I like rather than eat something that is "good for me."  

Needless to say it was hard to find something that Mr. Schwartz wouldn't eat.  I'm assuming you ladies out there miss their hubbies when they are gone but kinda look forward to alone time and eating things they loathe?  Am I right?!  I thought...chocolate.  For sure something with chocolate he really doesn't like it....although he eats Snickers Bars, Oreos and Peanut M&M's.  Then I thought coconut.  He really doesn't like coconut one bit--no matter what.  I remembered seeing Almond Joy Scones on the How Sweet It Is blog a while back.  I figured I would give them a go.  

I have never made a scone in my life. And you know me and baking, we really don't get along all that well.  I'm working on it.  These really did turn out to be pretty tasty.  I tried to follow the instructions as closely as possible but I couldn't find unsweetended coconut and I forgot to pick up coconut extract.  I think the coconut extract is key here people.  Don't forget it.  I subbed with almond extract and it wasn't horrible.  I also didn't have almond meal/flour.  I think that was okay too.  But use it if you have it.  

Now, Mr. Schwartz is going to be out of town again soon...any other suggestions that include: chocolate, peanut butter and or coconut?  I'm game. Send them over to: MrsSchwartzsKitchen@gmail.com  Yep, I have my own email addy for this little blog now.  It's big time.  Send me a line, a recipe or let me know what you think of something you have made from the blog.  Seriously it makes my day.  I can't wait to hear from you! 

Musical Selection:  Sleepyhead by Passion Pit.  I feel like a sleepyhead today.  
Start with your dry ingredients.  Flour.
Sugar.
Coconut.  I may have eaten the remainder of the bag.  Well, not all of it but I did put a good dent in it.
Baking Powder.  How fantastic is it that there is a little scraper on the container of Baking Powder.  It amazes me.
Much less amazing, this piece of crap baking soda box that "survived" the move.  Gross. Take some notes from Mr. Baking Powder.
Mix it all up in a large bowl.
Cut cold butter into small pieces.  Make sure your butter is cold--this is what gives the scones their wonderful light texture.
Pop it into the bowl.
Yikes.  I mixed it with my hands.  My big man hands.
Next measure up your buttermilk...
Vanilla
And coconut (almond for me) extract.  Mix this together with your hands as well.  Just until it is combined.  You don't want to warm the butter up too much.
Plop it onto a floured surface.  This is when I really started to feel like a baker.
Cut it in half
And break out your biscuit cutters.  Aren't these just adorable!?  I got them from my hubby's Auntie and cousins.  So sweet! Thanks ladies I am making good use of these already!!
Pat out about a 7in in diameter circle.  Cut out the scones.  I did a few as close as I could together then re-formed the dough and cut again.
Place them on a baking sheet.  I probably didn't have to use the silpats since there is so much butter in these but, why not right?
Melt about a tablespoon or so of butte in the microwave and brush the tops of the scones.  Isn't this the grossest pastry/marinade brush you ever did see?
Sprinkle each scone with sugar.  Bake the scones in a preheated 425 degree oven for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are just golden.
After the scones have baked, melt some chocolate to drizzle over the top of them. Yep, I said it.  I put some chocolate chips in a bowl, in the microwave for 30 seconds, stirred them, back in for 30 seconds stirred, them and repeated until they looked like...
This.
I then "drizzled" the scones with the chocolate.  Yeah, no drizzling here.  But look at the hunk of chocolate on the bottom left one.  Let me tell you, that bite was ah-mazing.
Top with additional coconut.
Come to momma.
Look at that texture.  I typically don't swoon over scones since they can be dense and tough but these are light airy and addicting.
See?  


Almond Joy Scones 

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2/3 cup almond meal (substitute all-purpose flour if needed)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into small pieces + 1 tablespoon for melting/brushing 
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract (or almond if you don't have coconut.  I would add 1 1/2 instead of a teaspoon if you are using almond extract) 
raw turbinado sugar for sprinkling (or white sugar in a pinch) 
3 ounces of chocolate, melted
Preheat oven to 425.
Combine flour, almond meal, sugar, coconut, baking soda, powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs with the flour mixture –I used my hands to combine and mash the butter in. Stir in buttermilk, coconut (or almond) extract and vanilla extract. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
Divide dough in half and pat into 7-inch round circles.. Cut scones out with a round biscuit cutter. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.  
Bake at 425 for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool, then "drizzle" with melted chocolate.
Devour.  

Recipe slightly adapted from: here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs