Make Ahead Breakfast Fajitas

Friday, October 7, 2011

I think I have a good weekend project for you.  I found this idea on Pinterest...making breakfast burritos ahead of time, freezing them and microwaving/baking when needed.  Um, this is way too good to be true.  I usually eat a Luna Bar for breakfast.  Although they are quite tasty, I do find myself starving by about 11:00.  I think this will be a good solution for Mr. Schwartz and I.  Make a large batch of burritos ahead of time, freeze them then eat them all week long.  We will see but I think this idea will stick. 


And you didn't think you had any plans this weekend.  I'm here for you.  I'm planning to head up north to my college stomping grounds.  Four of the six roommates are making the trek up and we are pretty stinkin' excited about it.  

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Musical Selection: Finally Friday by George Jones.  This came on the radio when I was making these tonight.  Yep, not kidding. 
 Start by browning the breakfast sausage.  I used one regular and one hot sausage.
Once the sausage has cooked all the way through and has gotten a little brown and crispy (yum), remove from the pan to a paper towel lined plate.  Set aside.
Veggies before...
 Veggies after.  I diced the poblano pepper since it is quite a bit hotter then the bell peppers.  I just sliced them thinly.
 Oh red onions, you are so pretty.
 Toss the peppers and onion into the frying pan you browned your meat in.  I sauteed these for about 3 minutes or until just softened.  You don't want to turn these to mush.  After they have softened, take off the heat and set aside.
 Crack your eggs into a bowl, I used the same bowl I had the veggies in.  I don't like doing dishes.  Beat the eggs with a fork.
 I sprayed the pan with some cooking spray just in case, and poured the eggs into the pan.  I cook my eggs on medium and stir constantly.
 I use a spatula and scrape, and scrape and scrape until they are fully cooked.
 It takes a while but the result is some fantastic fluffy eggs.
 See?!
 Pour the sausage back into the pan. Sorry for the crummy pic.
 Give it a stir.
 Set up your assembly line.
 Start by putting the cheese in the middle of a large tortilla. I tried to find large whole wheat tortillas but had no luck.
 Add the veggies.
 And eggs with the sausage.
 Ok, bear with me through these pictures.  Hard to take pictures of yourself wrapping up a burrito.  Take the top and bottom and fold them in.
 Fold over the right hand side over the middle.
 And pull the left side over.
 Repeat until you have wrapped up all of your burritos.  Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Put into the freezer.  Freeze for at least one hour then...
Take the burritos out of the freezer and place into freezer bags.  Place them back into the freezer.
When you are ready to eat, take a burrito out of the freezer.  Wrap it in a paper towel and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until warm all the way through. 

Fan.tastic. 


Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos

Ingredients: 
  • 1 whole Red Onion, Sliced
  • 1 whole Red Pepper, Sliced
  • 1 whole Poblano Pepper, Finely Diced
  • 1 whole Green Pepper, Sliced
  • 2 pounds Breakfast Sausage, One Regular, One Hot
  • 24 whole Eggs Beaten
  • 24 whole Large Tortilla Shells
  • 24 slices American, Cheddar Or Pepper Jack Cheeses


Preparation: 
Start by browning the breakfast sausage in a large frying pan. Once the sausage is cooked through and browned, remove from the pan onto a paper towel lined plate or bowl. Set aside.
Add the peppers and onion to the frying pan. You shouldn’t need to add any oil because of the drippings from the sausage. Sauté for about 3 minutes or until they are just softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Spray the frying pan with cooking spray (just in case) and add the beaten eggs. Prepare them scrambled style. I like to cook them over medium heat and stir constantly, scraping the bottom of the pan, the whole time, until they are cooked. Add sausage to the pan, stir to combine. Remove from heat.
Prepare an assembly line of ingredients: cheese, eggs/sausage, tortillas, peppers and onions.
Start by placing the cheese in the middle of the tortilla. Add the veggies on top of the cheese. Next add the eggs and sausage. Fold to make a burrito pocket.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place rolled burritos on the sheet. Place in freezer and freeze for at least an hour. Take the burritos out of the freezer and place into freezer bags. Return to freezer.
When ready to eat, take a burrito out of the freezer, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 2-3 minutes or until hot in the middle.
Enjoy!
Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz                                             Tasty Kitchen

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs