Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Raise your hand if you are annoyed that you keep on hearing about this so-called "Lady Party" but not one single recipe has been posted!  Ya ya, I know, bad blogger.  But here, right in front of you is one of my favorite desserts I served at the Lady Party. Hello Pumpkin Whoopie Pies, nice to meet you.

These are basically everything you love about a moist and delicious pumpkin roll but in a travel size.  I was so excited these turned out and that they were so close to the amazing pumpkin roll my cousin Margie makes!!! YUM.  I do have confirmation that she will be making said pumpkin roll and bringing it to Thanksgiving this year. Holler.  

These were quite easy to make and even easier to eat. I made them the day before and filled them the day of the party.  I'm not 100% sure I would recommend this as the cake part of the whoopie pies is very moist and the tops almost became sticky from being covered over night.  I took the cover off and let them sit for several hours uncovered and they were better but just a little tip for ya.  

Without further introduction, Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.  

Musical selection: Giving Up The Gun by: Vampire Weekend.  love.
Start by setting our your butter and eggs.  I hear this works wonders but, I don't have that confirmed.  Please note that setting out the butter is for the cream cheese filling, not the cakes....
As you see here, the butter is melted in the cakes.
Add packed brown sugar to the butter.
And stir to combine.  Note that I did not use my mixer to make the cakes.  It was so easy to do in a large mixing bowl.
Add the eggs.
Pumpkin puree. I used the remainder of the can for these.
Add the pumpkin pie spice....it helps to just take the cap off and scoop it instead of shaking the dickens out of it until you have what you need. Ah yeah, don't be lazy.
Also add the vanilla...
Baking powder....
Baking soda....
And salt.
Stir to combine.
Then add the flour.
Fold in gently until it is just combined. I find that it is easiest to fold with a rubber spatula.
Like this. 
Scoop out portions with a small ice cream scoop or cookie scoop.  I used the middle sized cookie scoop from Pampered Chef--thanks MA!
I also used my silpat mat.  Wow, these things rock my world.  So easy to clean, nothing sticks to them and they bake evenly.  I would totally suggest investing in a couple of these babies.  Sorry to burst your Pumpkin Whoopie Pie bubble, but I forgot to take a picture after I took them out.  I promise they were golden and delicious.  I tested to see if they were done by pressing down in the middle they should feel "springy."  Know that I am not a baker and I had no idea what "springy" was...until I pressed down in the middle when they were done baking. Totally "springy." It will be okay, I promise.

Once the cakes were cooled I took them off of the cookie sheets lined with silpats and place them into air tight containers layered with parchment paper.  They did not stick but remember they need some time to air out before filling and plating.
The next day I made the cream cheese filling/frosting.  Start by beating together your cream cheese and room temp butter.
Like so....
Slowly incorporate the powdered sugar while your mom tells you its going to fly everywhere because it is on too high of a speed.  As if I don't know what I'm doing--yep, powdered sugar everywhere.  Mommas always know.
Moving on, add a pinch of salt.
And some vanilla.  I also added a dash of cinnamon but A. I didn't take a picture of it and B. I don't think you could taste it.
But wow, look at that.
Now, I have a little trick to show you from Pinterest.  Start by laying out some plastic wrap.  I can't believe I even had any of this garbage--we are a 100% Press and Seal home.  But, luckily I had some of this blasted, no good stuff.
Roll it up on the ends and make your self a little cream cheese frosting cylinder.
Put your coupler (what is that thing called, that you put into the pastry bag that you screw the other part onto so it makes decorative frosting? Wow, I should google it. Better yet, why don't you just tell me). Place it into your pastry bag and pull one end out.  I had to use a tini tiny little tongs to get mine out. Be creative. My Momma was half way out the door to get the needle nose pliers.  No need, this kitchen has it all.
Snip the end and screw the other parts of the coupler/tip on to the bag. Please someone tell me the correct terms.
Okay, you are thinking what in the HECK is this?  Yep, I had a major frosting blow-out.  Be sure not to over-do your frosting in the cylinder.  Just so you know, it would be best to separate your frosting into two different sections and do one at a time.   I did use all the frosting so don't skimp but, the reason you use the plastic wrap is so you don't have to clean the pastry bag and it works great.  So, lesson learned, two batches of frosting, don't plop it all into one cylinder, you hear me!?

Anyways, put a good amount of frosting on one cake and place and gently squeeze the other cake on top.
They will look like this....
And this.  Enjoy with coffee...Oh man I wish there was some of these left. 

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies 

  • For the cakes:
  • 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, 1/2 stick softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1  teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon 
  • 1-2/3 cups flour
  • For the filling: 
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
  • 1 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 dash of cinnamon

  • Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use two silpat mats.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.
  • Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
  • Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar, the salt and  vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  • Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake and press gently. 
Enjoy!!! 

Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray's recipe I had printed off a while ago. 

Ps. weird formatting what!? Sorry.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs