Baked Mini Donuts

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

If that didn't spark your interest, I don't know what will.  There is this whole trendy thing going on in the bloggerverse and Pinterest (follow me okay?) , it's pretty much donut mania over there.  I am 100% guilty myself.  If you check out my Sweets board there are donuts all over da place.  Because....my sister-in-law bought me a mini donut maker for an early birthday present.  Saweeeet!  I have been wanting a donut pan for some time.  Because baking donuts=you can eat more donuts because ahem, they are baked.  

This little ditty is even better though, because you can whip up donuts in no time, on your counter top.  Similar to the cake pop maker I have (I swore to never make these again but, I'm warming up to the idea).  But, these are a million time easier since you don't have to dip them, and no sticks are involved.  I can't wait to have a brunch with fresh mini donuts.  Like, seriously, what's better than that!?  

I sent a text to my brother including a picture of these little guys and his reply was "You must come to my house right now!" You should know my brother's nickname in high school was donuts since he had such a strong love for the pastry delight.  You should also know that he is 6'6 and weighs about 185ish pounds and gets to eat whatever he wants....including as many donuts as he wants.  Life isn't fair.  

Anywho, seriously this thing is fantastic and the recipe couldn't be easier.  Thank you for including one in the packaging.  I will be branching out from here--the donut world is my oyster.  Holler.

Musical Selection: Fly by Nicki Minaj and RiRi
Start by combining flour
Sugar
and baking powder
Whisk them together
Add milk
Melted butter.  Yes, I said these were better for you, not good for you.
Also add a beaten egg.
Sprinkle a little nutmeg as well.  The bakery in our home town has nutmeg in their cake donuts so I found it only fitting to add a dash.
Mix it up. Seriously it looks weird, the butter gets all hard and funky but rest assured, it is okay.
Place a pastry bag in a large cup and preheat the donut maker.  Mine has a light on it and it turns green when its ready much like a waffle maker.
Fill the pastry bag with the dough or is it batter?  Either way, fill the bag up with your stuff.
Hahah, this made me laugh.  Spray the indents with cooking spray and fill to the top with dough/batter.  I should have used a bigger tip on my pastry bag. haha.
In the meantime, mix together some white sugar and cinnamon.
Pour it into a bag.  I would suggest a bigger bag but we didn't have any on hand.
So, if you don't fill the indents all the way they don't raise into the other part of the heating element.  So, I flipped the ones that didn't touch both sides.  I like an all around golden donut.  But, once you do...
This you really can't tell.  Shake them around in the cinnamon and sugar.
Oh hello little guys.  Of course I had to try one immediately. I mean, what's better than a hot freaking mini donut covered in cinnamon and sugar?  Let me tell you, nothing really.  But, if you actually wait a minute or two and let the outside get a little crispy they are even better.  For real, some magic happens that crisps the outside and keeps the inside all warm and soft.
Oh good lord.  

Baked Mini Donuts: 
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten


Cinnamon sugar: 
1 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon (or so) cinnamon

Combine dry ingredients.  Melt butter and add to the dry ingredients along with the milk and egg. 

Pour batter into a pitcher or into a large piping bag.  

Preheat the donut maker.  When ready, spray generously with cooking spray to prevent sticking.  Pour batter into the donut maker to fill the hole.  Bake for approximately 4 minutes and flip the donut so they are brown on both sides.  This is not 100% necessary but I like a uniform browned donut.  

Take out of the donut maker and toss directly into a bag filled with the cinnamon and sugar.  Coat the donuts and

ENJOY!

Recipe adapted slightly from: here

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs