The Best Granola

Monday, April 22, 2013

As promised on my Facebook Page (which you should totally "like" if you haven't already), here is my favorite granola.  I hate HATE buying granola from the store.  It's unhealthy, EXPENSIVE and typically pretty blah.  But this granola, oh, it is healthy(er), cheap and so so good.  I usually make a big batch and put it in mason jars bringing one to work for lunch or midday snacks.  Mr. Schwartz caught wind of this and asked me to make him a jar as well.  I can't blame him, this stuff is awesome.  

Start with some coconut oil.  I LOVE this stuff and it is a healthy fat.  If you don't have access to coconut oil (I buy mine at Trader Joe's), you can use butter.  Less healthy, yes, but it will do the trick.
Melt the coconut oil in your pan
Chop up some almonds
Toss the almonds in the pan.
Chop up some cashews too.  I forgot to take a picture of that, I'm pretty sure I was too busy eating them.  Toss the cashews in along with some sunflower seeds.
Stir the nuts around to coat with the coconut oil (or butter) and toast them for just a bit.  Keep stirring as this can go south fast.  You will start to smell the toastiness and then you will know you are on track.
Then toss in some brown sugar
And get out your honey bear.  This honey is from my cousin Colin who, no big deal, has his own bees and harvested it himself.  Thanks Colin, BEST HONEY EVER!
Take the pan off the heat and drizzle in that glorious honey.  Give it a good stir. 
Give it a good stir.
Next add oats (I used Old Fashioned Rolled Oats) to a large bowl.
And some coconut.  I LOVE coconut.
Pour in the nut mixture and stir everything together.
Sprinkle in some salt.  This looks like a lot but I was making a lot! It brings out the natural sweetness of the honey and coconut.
Spread it out evenly on a baking sheet and into the oven it goes for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, give it a good toss to ensure the edges aren't the only thing browning and back into the oven it goes for about 10 more minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely.  Once cooled, it will be all stuck together so crumble it as finely as you would like.  I prefer some bigger chunks and some smaller pieces as well.
There you have it, the best granola ever.
This is my favorite way to enjoy it!  Parfait style with Chobani's Pineapple yogurt.  Seriously amazing.
The best part about this recipe is that you can totally customize it to your liking.  You don't like cashews, use pecans, not a fan of coconut, add more oats instead.  You could even add raisins or dried cranberries after it has cooled.  This granola is totally customizable!

The Best Granola 

2 heaping tablespoons of coconut oil (or butter)
1 cup roasted almonds, very roughly chopped
1 cup roasted cashews, very roughly chopped
2/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
1 cup coconut (sweetened is okay)
Large pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Start by melting the coconut oil (or butter) in a large skillet on medium heat.   Once melted, add the almonds, cashews and sunflower seeds.  Stir to coat in the coconut oil (or butter) and continue to stir and let toast for about 3 minutes or so.

Remove from the heat and add the brown sugar and honey.  Stir while you add the honey as this can burn.  Toss everything so it is evenly coated.

In a large bowl, add the oats and coconut.  Pour in the nut mixture and stir so everything is evenly coated and incorporated.  Add the salt and stir again.

Pour mixture onto a large baking sheet as evenly as you can get it and place in the oven.  Bake for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and give it a quick toss to ensure the edges are not the only thing that get brown.  Back into the oven it goes for 10 more minutes.  After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool completely.

Once fully cooled, break into as big or small pieces as you would like.  I prefer some larger and some smaller in mine for variety.

Serve with yogurt, in oatmeal, on ice cream, eat it plain, whatever floats your boat.

Enjoy!

Recipe by: Mrs. Schwartz

3 comments :

  1. Seems so delicious and healthy !


    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com


    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I think I will def try this. I have been wanting to make some for a very long time. This is a recipe I think my daughter would really love and she's the one I will be making it for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would make using natvia and maybe maple syrup instead of honey Sounds yum

    ReplyDelete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs